Chick starter protein

Quote:
I don't eat white bread, either, and wouldn't feed it to chickens, so when I was raising my first batch of six black Australorps, I found out they really loved my home baked bread, which takes me two full days to make since I grind most of my own organic grains (spelt, quinoa, hard winter wheat, etc.), then soak all the grains, along with brown rice, sunflower hearts, steel-cut oats and sesame seeds, adding raw honey and molasses to add extra nutrition. LOL Now that I am raising 20 heritage birds and 12 meat chickens, no way am I feeding them my labor intensive bread! They have had to settle for garden veggies and greens for their treats.

I consider myself very lucky that I live 15 miles from Countryside Organics, and have been a customer since they opened the doors in 1997 for all my organic gardening amendments, and now organic, soy-free, non-GMO feed and scratch for my chickens. I live even closer to Sunrise Farms, which produces non-GMO feed from local grains, but it's not organic and contains soy, so I don't buy from them, though they are much cheaper. I would buy from them before buying commercial feed, though, since they are the suppliers of all feed to Joel Salatin/Polyface Farms, the sustainable farming guru featured in books and movies. Joel has been my inspiration and mentor, I just take it one step further.

Wildflower, you and I think (and eat!) a lot alike! I'm delighted to make your acquaintance here on the board and look forward to learning from you and others here as I make my way on this new venture.

Had some leftover quinoa with veggies in the fridge. Wasn't sure it was safe to feed to the chickens so I googled it. Delighted that this thread came up. I have Hopi Red Dye red amaranth seeds to plant next year but did not realize it's the same plant as quinoa.

Really great to see a thread where people are feeding their chickens this well. I didn't know about feeding them comfrey either. And as someone who is intolerant of cow dairy products, good to know about sources of calcium for myself as well.

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm curious what books you'd recommend for chicken nutrition?

Back
Top Bottom