Chick starter recipe

I can't get fishmeal here either.  I cook fish heads or smelts with beans, fresh frozen corn and spinach and then mix it with my fermented dry feed.

Would supplimenting with tin sardines work? When you give them that with the cooked fish heads do you leave it all day or serve just enough that they eat it in 1 go. Im worried that after couple of hours the fish or even the egg will start to get yucky and make them sick

Would supplimenting with tin sardines work? When you give them that with the cooked fish heads do you leave it all day or serve just enough that they eat it in 1 go. Im worried that after couple of hours the fish or even the egg will start to get yucky and make them sick

I can't see why tinned sardines wouldn't work. They gobble up the 'goop' I serve so it spoiling has never been an issue.

I can't see why tinned sardines wouldn't work.  They gobble up the  'goop' I serve so it spoiling has never been an issue.

Aparently the salt could be an issue in tin sardines? Could i offer sardine and egg in a separate dish to the grain mix i want them to have access to the grain 24/7 but dont think sardine or eggs would be good like that especially in hot weather.. I will definately be giving then greens i always have spinach kale silverbeet on hand plus other veg

Last edited:
Aparently the salt could be an issue in tin sardines? Could i offer sardine and egg in a separate dish to the grain mix i want them to have access to the grain 24/7 but dont think sardine or eggs would be good like that especially in hot weather

I agree fish or egg could get nasty quickly. I would put out a little and see how it goes. And reduce the salt in your dry feed if it's a concern for you.

Ok so hows this? Im worried without fishmeal i wont have the amino acids correct however the lady who designed this recipe for her chicks did suggest replacing fishmeal with sesame/flax or pumpkin seeds which i have included anyway.

Main grain mix= 24/7 access
7 cups oats
5 cups wheat
3 cups red split lentils
1 cup BOSS or sunflower seeds
2tbs molasses
1/2 cup kelp
3 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs cayenne
1 cup flax seed
1 cup sesame
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 tsp pink rock salt
Cod liver oil

Separate dish = Remove/replace if not eaten after couple of hrs
Boiled egg
Sardines
Greens
Cooked veg etc

Last edited:
Ok so hows this? Im worried without fishmeal i wont have the amino acids correct however the lady who designed this recipe for her chicks did suggest replacing fishmeal with sesame/flax or pumpkin seeds which i have included anyway.

Main grain mix= 24/7 access
7 cups oats
5 cups wheat
3 cups red split lentils
1 cup BOSS or sunflower seeds
2tbs molasses
1/2 cup kelp
3 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs cayenne
1 cup flax seed
1 cup sesame
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 tsp pink rock salt
Cod liver oil

Separate dish = Remove/replace if not eaten after couple of hrs
Boiled egg
Sardines
Greens
Cooked veg etc

Are you going to grind the lentils? When I fed peas dry I found them more likely to take them if I ground them. They still weren't crazy about them until I started cooking them.

In that much feed I add 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast.

Last edited:
 Are you going to grind the lentils?  When I fed peas dry I found them more likely to take them if I ground them.  They still weren't crazy about them until I started cooking them.

In that much feed I add 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast.

Ok and yes the grain mix will be ground until there bigger

Back
Top Bottom