Chick Starter vs Grower Crumbles

mylittlechickpea

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not sure if I should post this here or in the "Raising Chicks".. Anyways

I know there are many differing opinions on this topic. My White Leghorn is about 6-7 weeks, the lady at the hatchery where I got her said to feed the chick starter until about 5-6 weeks and then switch over to the "triple-duty" grower feed. I am not sure of the different protien content between the two or other nutrients, really. I mixed some of the growers feed in with her starter for today, mainly because I am out of starter. But I was just wondering what everyone else opinion were on when to switch feeds. I know some say stay on starter until they are ready for laying, is this one going to make her huge?

Here is a reasonable link from Oregon state:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw477/#anchor1127952

Personally I like a bit higher protein numbers all the way around. Say 20-22% for young birds and 18%ish for older.

The advice from the hatchery lady seems reasonable. Unless you have some starter you want to use up first. If that starter is medicated it is best to follow the advice of the manufacture.

If you do switch to a grower, be mindful of the treats you give. Know their protein content! Personally I lean to meat/fruit/nut type treats than corn/pasta starch type treats.

(The happiest sounds from my chickens come when they get a little fish for a treat..
wink.png
)
ON

Thanks for the link. I just called the hatchery asked the protein. She said the starter I've been using is 16% so I take it the grower would be less? I guess I'll share my tilapia with the chicken tonight
roll.png

Hello-

I just have to buy what my farm store sells, and it is Dumor Chick Starter/Grower.....so I guess it's all in one. I use that until around 18 weeks of age, then I switch to the layer feed.

Ahahahahahahahaha
lau.gif

Just gave her some fish, she carried it around chirping for a good five minutes before she did anything else. Took a bite, ran a lap with it chirping, took a bite, ran another lap chirping.

gig.gif
I love this chicken
gig.gif

hijacking post for one second hope you don't mind! it's on topic though
smile.png

Is it Okay to keep chicks on Chick Starter until they are laying and getting Layer Crumbles? Does anybody do this?

mylittlechickpea --

A lot of people myself included like to feed a higher protein feed (20-22 percent).

I believe that the higher protein makes for a bigger framed bird and helps with feather growth in young birds and before and after molts in older bird (over a year old). I keep my birds on a high protein (21%Starter/ Grower) for there whole life and it isn't till they are a year old do I start feeding treats and or scratch grain.
When they are a year old;
I give them there regular 21% protein Starter/ Grower feed in the morning and at night I start giving them a good scratch grain ( I use a all grain pigeon feed ).

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Ill try looking around at some of the other feed stores around. This is the one where I got my chick and so I just kept going back for the feed. It's also the closest.
hmm.png
I looked on google yesterday and there only like 5 or 6 feed stores on the island
idunno.gif
So I'll just start looking again, hopefully I find one with more selection. Chris, you said you keep them on starter forever? do they lay okay?

Back
Top Bottom