Chick stopped laying eggs-

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k1d2u3t4, Aug 5, 2014.

1. k1d2u3t4

k1d2u3t4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Hello All.
    History= I have four hens, all 24 weeks old. All four are laying. I have a White Rock, Red Star, Black Star, and Rhode Island Red.
    My Black Star is the top of the pecking order.

My White Rock was my first egg layer. She has given me an egg everyday since July 5th, with the exception of a few rubber eggs. Everyday she has been faithful. My Black star began laying two weeks later, with the Red star five days ago and the Rhode Island Red, four days ago.

My White Rock has not given me an egg for three days now. She seems healthy and her behavior hasn't changed. We haven't had much change in temperature (90 degrees). I am wondering if it could be stress in the coop. Now that the other hens are laying, it seems they are all hormonal and have a waiting line for the nesting box. (Heaven knows they will not use the empty nesting box!) They all seem to squawk at each other until everyone has laid their egg. When everyone has laid their egg, everyone is happy and are foraging around the yard again. Any thoughts or experienced chicken owners have any other ideas as to why my hen hasn't laid an egg for three days?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. My first thought is she may have found another nest spot.

Wish ya the best.

3. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    Thanks. I will start looking.

4. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    We had a family egg hunt this evening and came up with nothing. We have less than an acre that the hens roam and we checked all the spots in the shade. I think we covered the yard pretty well. Still hoping we find some, but it may be something else. Maybe tomorrow will bring something new.

5. We'll stress will affect their laying more than anything. So has she gone through anything life altering lately. I'm just guessing at this point but stress is a real cause for a hen to stop laying.

6. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    Thanks for your help. I think it was stress, and I think I solved my problem. Today, I moved the interior wall of my nesting box to make it larger. My White Rock was able to sit for as long as she wanted, while the other hens joined her. I got an egg from her! Hopefully, this will solve my issues going forward. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by