Chick struggled to hatch, now struggling to live...

AnneInTheBurbs

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Bucks County, Pa
I had a CCL hatch out the other day. I decided I was going to watch the chicks hatch, and t seemed to be struggling at the zipping stage. I was advised to leave it until later, so I went to bed and checked it in the morning. Long story short, it seemed to have some membrane stuck to its head and did have a hard time emerging.

I put in under a broody chicken who had chicks hatch the same day. Actually 3 broody hens and a turkey too. Th chick was not moving a whole lot yesterday, but I thought it was because of the 90* heat we had here.

Today it was not able to get out of the nest box with the rest of the chicks and doesn't seem to be able to stand or lift it's head for very long. I gave it some sugar water and nutridrench, but I think it may not make it. Any suggestions?

I had a CCL hatch out the other day. I decided I was going to watch the chicks hatch, and t seemed to be struggling at the zipping stage. I was advised to leave it until later, so I went to bed and checked it in the morning. Long story short, it seemed to have some membrane stuck to its head and did have a hard time emerging.

I put in under a broody chicken who had chicks hatch the same day. Actually 3 broody hens and a turkey too. Th chick was not moving a whole lot yesterday, but I thought it was because of the 90* heat we had here.

Today it was not able to get out of the nest box with the rest of the chicks and doesn't seem to be able to stand or lift it's head for very long. I gave it some sugar water and nutridrench, but I think it may not make it. Any suggestions?
I can not see it but It has to stay warm----is it normally getting under The hen to warm a few?? Or is it just ignoring the Momma hen and her it?

She did have the chick under her. I did make sure to put the chick under her when she climbed in the nest box. It is 86*+ here today, so temperature is not a problem, thankfully.

I do not know how old the chick is but 86 for a 2 or 3 day old chick can/could be a problem---a good healthy chick needs to be warmed to 95 or more---when it needs it. A sickly chick might need to be heated more because its not eating/moving enough to heat up its body to where it needs to be. But 86 for sure is better that 56 or 36!

Thanks, I dropped some sugar water with nutridrench several times tonight in her beak and put her back under Mama. Maybe she will recover.

It was about 86* outside, but probably warmer in the coop. Everyone was panting.

Back
Top Bottom