chick stuck in egg

It can take 24 hours when they pip themselves til they push their way out of their shell....It's only been less than 12 hours since you made him a hole, I'd wait but that's me. They have to zip around the shell breaking it open but he may not be able to now. I have never helped a chick out. Someone else who has done this may be better to help you make that that decision.

What i did when mine was stuck is slowly help remove the shell at the top without removing the memberane under the shell. Then you can see where it is safe to slowly rip the membrane if the blood vessles have no blood in them.

ok.. chicken crazy told me to try and get him out a little at a time unless I saw blood. I did this and was ablt to get the majority of him out of the egg. The only part of him that is left in the egg is his rear. Is this where the blood suppy is? I just put him back in the bator. Now that he is basically out and he is the only chick in there, what does the temp and humidity need to be now? Thanks

Do you have any other chicks that need to hatch or is he the only one left in there?

Temp should have been all along 101 to 102 for a still air bator, 99.8 is what I keep my circulated air Hova at, humidty for the last 3 days 60 to 70%.

Last edited:
He is the only one left in the bator . I just checked on him and he is peeping. He is almost out of the shell but not quite. He is trying to move but looks really weak and appears to have something that is attached to him and the shell still.

I would leave him in the bator overnight, he does not need to eat or drink right away and a good rest might be what he needs. I keep mine all in the bators til the hatch is completed and they have fluffed out. He will live off his yolk sac for a day or two. Tomorrow I would move him to the brooder box with the rest of the chicks, if he is weak watch him carefully and maybe some vits. and electro in his water a time or two...my opinion

Could be his yolk sac still needs to absorb or his intestines are out (thats not a good sign) keep him in the bator so the others won't peck at him...my thoughts!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your advice. Much appreciated. Now that he is the one left, should I adjust the temp or humidity? He is totally out of his egg now.

No, I'd leave the temp and humidity alone.. I never adjust temps and humidity if I leave a chick or two in for a day or more...Just keep an eye on him....

Back
Top Bottom