Chick stuck in rat bait station

Sweeter than silkies

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
Help! My baby chick is stuck in a rat bait station. It is tamper resistant and requires a special key to open. We will have the company come tomorrow. My concern is besides the bait itself, there is a lot of rat poop coming out of the station. If we do get it out alive, do you think it will have diseases when we find it? Will we need to quarantine it? He is 1 of 18 chicks (3 weeks old)

Help! My baby chick is stuck in a rat bait station. It is tamper resistant and requires a special key to open. We will have the company come tomorrow. My concern is besides the bait itself, there is a lot of rat poop coming out of the station. If we do get it out alive, do you think it will have diseases when we find it? Will we need to quarantine it? He is 1 of 18 chicks (3 weeks old)
Poor thing! Wow, it must be traumatized by now. It's too bad it can't figure a way out on its own. If it's where it's dark, and you turn a light on, could it seeing the light help it find its way out?

Once it's out, yes, I would quarantine it because rats carry lice for one thing, plus many diseases including avian influenza. I would give it plain water at first as it'll be thirsty, but then electrolyte water for a day.

Back
Top Bottom