Eye issues with 16 week old bantam hen

JSJS Farm

Hatching
Jul 28, 2023
I have a 16 week old bantam pullet that is having eye issues. She is currently quarantined and I haven't seen any issues with the remaining girls she was brooded with. We have quarantined her for about 4 days without a change in her.

Problem: We upgraded the pullet coop and run so they would have a larger area to run around and two coops to choose from. The day after they were moved, we noticed that one of the bantam pullets was laying with her eyes closed. She was easy to pick up and didn't resist up in any way. We quickly separated her from the other chicks and checked her out. There is NO swelling, discharge or respiratory issues. She's having normal poops and she is eating and drinking without issue. However, she will not open her eyes for more then a few seconds and today we noticed she has started rubbing her eyes on her back.

Any idea what could be causing her issue and what we can do to help her?

How’s your pullet now? Does she have any other symptoms other than keeping her eyes shut? She must be opening them a little to find food and water. Is she lethargic, uninterested in things? When she opens her eyes, do they look normal, with no cloudiness? I’m going to tag a member who is much more knowledgeable than I am, and can help you more. @Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom