chick that is wingless

max101

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
newcastle Australia
About a week ago my week old silkie chick was found with swelling on her wing. There seemed to be no blood and the wing just hanged down. I seperated her as the other chicks started to peck her. The wing eventually dried up and was not growing with her body size. Yesterday I found that the wing was gone. It must of just dried up and dropped off. All she has is a small stump. She is a silkie and cant fly anyway but will any complication develop later on. Momma hen has looked after her chicks well I have no idea how this injury occured in the first place. I hope I dont lose the chick a month or so down the road. She is eating drinking pooping and running just fine.

Poor chicky, well I've never herd of that before. If the site is clean and not infected and she seems fine other wise, I don't know why she wouldn't be just fine. Sounds like she may have had poor circulation to the wing.......

I read on here once of a fellow that bred and entire line of totally wingless chickens.

Google it, you'll find it.

My showgirls don't really fly anyway....so she is probably happier with it gone anyhow.

Look at the bright side....that is one less place for mites to hide.

If you have kids, this is a great lesson with learning about living with disabilities.
smile.png

lol I know it sounds wierd but it seems just as happy. I havent found the dried up piece of wing though. I think I may have to call it wing nut or something like that. Maybe stumpy lol

Back
Top Bottom