Chick thinks im its mum

Claire_

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
My broody hen has sat on 8 eggs and so far 4 of which have hatched the other 4 are all pipping, I watched the 2nd one hatch but mum pecked it (not hard and only once) and after that she didn't do it again but I picked the chick up and it fell asleep on me and now when I put it back with its mum it cheeps loudly until I pick it back up, how can I fix this?

I had the same situation, only that i incubated it, and it is really attached now. It turned into a rooster and actually tries to mate with me. I have no solution, but i know that it is because chicks become VERY attached to the first living thing it sees. You might have to play mother hen. Another time was when a chick was sick, with like, cancer for chicks, and it liked how it felt in my hands. The poor thing died in my arms a few hours later though.

I had the same situation, only that i incubated it, and it is really attached now. It turned into a rooster and actually tries to mate with me. I have no solution, but i know that it is because chicks become VERY attached to the first living thing it sees. You might have to play mother hen. Another time was when a chick was sick, with like, cancer for chicks, and it liked how it felt in my hands. The poor thing died in my arms a few hours later though.
How did you know it had cancer?
Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom