Chick trying to peck the freckles off me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Real McChicks, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    MY 6 week old chicks are generally pretty friendly- they'll run up to me for treats and eat out of my hand. They also love to perch on our arms, but my daughters and I have freckled arms and they seem to mistake the freckles for something yummy. Kind of cute...until the RIR tried to gnaw a freckle off my arm. OUCH! She pinched the skin hard enough to leave a bruise. She tried it again tonight, but I was ready for her this time.

Is there any way to train her not to do this? What is appropriate discipline for a chicken? [​IMG] Its a little hot for long sleeves.

2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Not sure what to tell you. [​IMG]
    Perhaps try a short shreek? It can't hurt, and maybe they'll get the idea. At the very least it might distract them a bit.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

also...[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Long sleeves or makeup on your arms will help. [​IMG] Chickens peck at 'spots' - just a fact of husbandry.

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens go for my painted toes and the beads on my sandals. Other than hiding the spots they like to pick, there ain't much you can do. Possible the chicks will outgrow it once they realize no morsel is being snapped up in their beak. Even my toenail-pickers only peck once or twice, just to make absolutely sure my toes ain't delicious strawberries. You can also try distracting them, since they have tiny attention spans.

5. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I had the same problem with mine. It won't last too long. They figure out pretty quick that yours and my freckles don't come off and are not edible. [​IMG]

6. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Lol. My cockatiel does that when he cleans me. I thought it was cute- but his beak isn't nearly as big as a chickens.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Bluekote them freckles....[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:My cockatiel tries to clean freckles off me too. LOL But he's gentle and doing it as a buddy... Chickens just want to eat you.

They'll figure out eventually that freckles don't taste good, but they'll try them all first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by