Chick trying to peck the freckles off me!

Real McChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
California
MY 6 week old chicks are generally pretty friendly- they'll run up to me for treats and eat out of my hand. They also love to perch on our arms, but my daughters and I have freckled arms and they seem to mistake the freckles for something yummy. Kind of cute...until the RIR tried to gnaw a freckle off my arm. OUCH! She pinched the skin hard enough to leave a bruise. She tried it again tonight, but I was ready for her this time.

Is there any way to train her not to do this? What is appropriate discipline for a chicken?
roll.png
Its a little hot for long sleeves.

My chickens go for my painted toes and the beads on my sandals. Other than hiding the spots they like to pick, there ain't much you can do. Possible the chicks will outgrow it once they realize no morsel is being snapped up in their beak. Even my toenail-pickers only peck once or twice, just to make absolutely sure my toes ain't delicious strawberries. You can also try distracting them, since they have tiny attention spans.

I had the same problem with mine. It won't last too long. They figure out pretty quick that yours and my freckles don't come off and are not edible.
hu.gif

Quote:
My cockatiel tries to clean freckles off me too. LOL But he's gentle and doing it as a buddy... Chickens just want to eat you.

They'll figure out eventually that freckles don't taste good, but they'll try them all first.

Back
Top Bottom