chick vent picking...was separating everybody the right move?

lauramei

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
I'm raising three chicks, all pretty different ages: 1 5-week old Easter Egger, 1 4-week old Maran, and 1 2-week old white cochin. The Easter Egger pecked the Maran's vent to the point of bleeding, so I dressed her vent wound and I've separated everybody into three separate brooders. Everyone hates being alone and is crying loudly, even though they can see and hear one another. I'm worried that the size differences are going to continue to be a problem until everyone evens out. Is there anything I can do to make the separation easier on these girls?

That age difference shouldn't be too much of a problem...where must be a reason for the picking. Any injuries on any of the birds before they started picking? What are you feeding them? Sometimes they will pick if they are not getting enough protein...

I'm feeding them Purina chick crumbles (non-medicated) with 1 mashed-up hard-boiled egg served as a treat every morning which everybody eats. Shouldn't that be enough protein for these guys? They're still all separated while the Cuckoo Maran heals.

And, sorry - no injuries before the picking. Though the Maran's carriage is different than the other birds and her vent really IS at their eye level when standing.

The 4 and 5 week old should have been close enough in size to keep together (but not now that one is injured). It sounds like the two week old was not involved and therefore maybe it is big enough to be with them. Have you tried putting the 2 week old and the 5 week old back together?

Maybe your brooder is too small. Are you using a red or white heat lamp? If you are using white you should switch to red. They don't peck at each other as much with a red light.

Back
Top Bottom