Chick w/ RESPITORY INFECTION

megancarleigh

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
SW Florida
I've had this happen before, I just got a new batch of chicks from my feed store. I beleive I caught it in the early stages as will start treatment depending on what I hear.

Today she was weaker with the chicks, she can open her eyes just mostly closed and can walk, etc. just getting weaker. she's been hanging with me all day keeping warm, I have been hydrating with sugar water and making sure she's eating her food (it is medicated) also, she ate a LITTLE of cooked egg.

So, should I treat with ACV or antibiotics? ACV has failed me in the passed and I've never used antibiotics for it. (Sorry to say but they're chicks) also I just read ACV is too acidic but, I only use about 1 tbsp per gallon (or whatever the dosage is
1f602.png
) SO which to do... Pick up antibiotics or try ACV since it's still early??? Thank you
1f64c-1f3fc.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

I haven't had this yet, so I'm just going by what I've read, but in the "chick first aid checklist" a common theme is having Vet RX on hand. I bought some from amazon and have it in my arsenal. I don't know if it would get to you in time and I'm sorry you have a sick chick on your hands. I just started my chicken adventure a few days ago with my first 3x 6 week olds so I realize I'm not speaking from experience. I thought though it might be useful for you to know about. Best of luck!

I've had this happen before, I just got a new batch of chicks from my feed store. I beleive I caught it in the early stages as will start treatment depending on what I hear.

Today she was weaker with the chicks, she can open her eyes just mostly closed and can walk, etc. just getting weaker. she's been hanging with me all day keeping warm, I have been hydrating with sugar water and making sure she's eating her food (it is medicated) also, she ate a LITTLE of cooked egg.

So, should I treat with ACV or antibiotics? ACV has failed me in the passed and I've never used antibiotics for it. (Sorry to say but they're chicks) also I just read ACV is too acidic but, I only use about 1 tbsp per gallon (or whatever the dosage is
1f602.png
) SO which to do... Pick up antibiotics or try ACV since it's still early??? Thank you
1f64c-1f3fc.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
How old are they?
How long have you had them?
What signs of respiratory illness are you seeing - coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes, facial swelling, etc.?
How is the chick acting - just weak or is it puffed up, huddling, etc.?
What's the poop look like?

If you have them give her some poultry vitamins/electrolytes like Poultry Nutridrench or Sav-A-Chick or continue a little sugar water if you feel like it's helping.
Offer some wet chick starter, the egg is fine too.

Little over a
How old are they?
How long have you had them?
What signs of respiratory illness are you seeing - coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes, facial swelling, etc.?
How is the chick acting - just weak  or is it puffed up, huddling, etc.?
What's the poop look like?

If you have them give her some poultry vitamins/electrolytes like Poultry Nutridrench or Sav-A-Chick or continue a little sugar water if you feel like it's helping.
Offer some wet chick starter, the egg is fine too.
week I'm guess, eyes are mostly closed making a shaking noise.. Poop is fun but runny

I don't know what a "shaking noise" is, but shaking, fluffed up, eyes closed and huddling can be a sign of cocci, so you may want to start them on Corid.
No signs of respiratory distress?

Back
Top Bottom