chick walks like penguin

jsr5

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 17, 2018
Mid Missouri
I have a Light Brahma Chick about 12 weeks old that has a strange upright stance and walk. She gets around OK maybe a little slow but drags her tail because of the upright posture. I at first thought injury but think it is a genetic issue and probably a misalignment of her pelvis. Does anyone have any information suggestions etc wil she be able to pass eggs? I'll get some pics this evening after her bath. and get them postyed just getting it started. She is a super sweet gal. I'd hate to lose her but don't want to have her die in pain from a inability to pass eggs or somthing.

This could be caused by too much weight (too much protein) on still soft joints and bones. Happens mostly to large heavy breeds that experience growth spurts and should rather be fed a reduced diet when reaching a certain age.

You might want to try administering some calcium + vitamin d3 + vitamin K and reduce her protein intake. After a few days you should be able to see some improvement.

For better documentation I would weigh her every 4-5 days.

To be honest I am not sure when it cropped up. She was in my wifes coop after they left the briooders in house then garage. I am pretty sure she wasn't like that then as I did have daily contact with them then. I had only a little interaction before they were let outside in their own section of the run at wifes big coop. That is when I noticed it. It is not weight gain I'm pretty sure she is on the thin side of healthy according to her breast shape relatively flat from breastbone now was slightly concave before I brought her up for special care. I can't be positive about the mareks but it was a farm store chick so I imagine she was. Was given medicated chick starter for first 8 weeks. I did give her higher protein when I brought her up since she was smaller than others and slightly under weight I felt. I do know to reduce it later to prevent her from getting too heavy before her bones are strong. I need to get with the calcium supplement I'll get it tommorrow at Cackle Hatchery when I pick up my Silkie babies.

OK finally got the pics to upload she seems to have improved slightly as she can keep tail off ground when she walks but just a little so here she is.

IMG_1301.JPG

thumbnail (44).jpg

thumbnail (45).jpg

Her feathers look a little bedraggled but thats just because she is still damp from her bath. She beautifully feathered healthy looking other than stance.

By the way Wife has named her Momba. Hope she is going to be OK Calcium and Vitamins being given at a rate of a couple tums crushed up a day and the rooster Booster poulty cell by the directions.

I am not familiar with the ingredients of "tums", but be careful to administer the right combination calcium+vit. d3+vit k. At her young age too much Calcium only might not be absorbed the right way and could even damage her kidneys.

Do you allow your chicks some hours per day to roam outside in the sun?

I hope she will get better soon.

Darned if she doesn't look like a penguin standing there. That extreme vertical position has me stumped. Female chickens have a normal stance where the center of gravity is thrust forward. This stance is even more radical than the rooster stance.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.

I am not familiar with the ingredients of "tums", but be careful to administer the right combination calcium+vit. d3+vit k. At her young age too much Calcium only might not be absorbed the right way and could even damage her kidneys.

Do you allow your chicks some hours per day to roam outside in the sun?

I hope she will get better soon.
How much calcium via tums would you reccomend. The other vitamins should be in the highly reccomended poultry cell as in reccomended on here thats why I have it. :)

The others in her age group do get outside time as much as they want in the coop they have their own sectiuon of run and their own coop door and ramp. Momba has not been getting alot of out time since being brought in she does get sunshine though as we open garage doors so other chickens can visit and the sun can shine in on em. We have been getting her out in the evenings to walk a little in living room. She is slow although no more awkward than a penguin
If this looks to be permanent I think I'll move her in with my blind roo see if they can deal with each other. unless she can function in the normal bantam flock. Even though she will be a towering hulk to them

I'm not understanding why she's segregated form the others. Unless a chicken is very sick and vulnerable to abuse from the flock or injured so as to invite wound pecking, they do much better if left with their mates.

Chickens absorb vitamin D through exposure to direct sunlight on their feathers. You'll see them, even on the hottest days, lying on their sides with wings spread wide, getting a full-on sun bath. This is crucial for maintaining their vitamin D levels for calcium absorption.

Back
Top Bottom