Chick wants out! Help!

tothefifth powe

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2016
Hello!
Two of my eggs pipped today on day 23 (I know very late). The humidity is super low, 49% because I have no clue how to raise it. 1 of the eggs has been struggling for 6 hours in the same position. And when i say struggling i mean struggling. It has been peeping loudly, throwing its beak around, and rocking to egg to point where it almost flipped (bit of an exaggeration) for the entire time! Still, this same 1.5 by 1cm hole. Two questions:
1.How do I increase the Humidity?
2. Should I Assist hatch the eggs (tear the shell, not the membrane)?
Thank You!

To increase the humidity, I just pour warm water through one of the air holes. And as for your other question..I wouldn't assist with it yet. Sometimes if you mess with it, it does more harm than good.

Hello!
Two of my eggs pipped today on day 23 (I know very late). The humidity is super low, 49% because I have no clue how to raise it. 1 of the eggs has been struggling for 6 hours in the same position. And when i say struggling i mean struggling. It has been peeping loudly, throwing its beak around, and rocking to egg to point where it almost flipped (bit of an exaggeration) for the entire time! Still, this same 1.5 by 1cm hole. Two questions:
1.How do I increase the Humidity?
2. Should I Assist hatch the eggs (tear the shell, not the membrane)?
Thank You!
How are things going now? If you have room in the incubator I would consider putting a wet sponge or two in there to aid with the humidity. Once the humidity is up, I would check on the pipper to make sure the lower humidity didn't dry the membranes out "gluing" him in place or shrink wrapping. Generally 6 hours is WAY too early to start worrying about helping a pipper. Like Champers said at the 6 hour point you are likely to do more harm than good trying to assist, But, with the humidity that low, I would consider moistening any exposed membrane with a little warm water on a q-tip and making sure the humidity is raised to a decent level.

I raised humidity to 62%!!! Chick is still alive inside the egg, but has not come out! Still active though. At 3pm today, I will assist it for it has been 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom