chick will only eat food around the edge of the feeder

I'm glad you had a good result with the chick food mashed with water. A good way you can gauge your chick's progress is to weigh her every day. Just use some digital kitchen scales that measure in 1g increments. If she isn't gaining weight then feed her the mash more often.

Been feeding the chick mash three times a day. The little gal seems to be getting bigger. I've been weighing her and she seems to be gaining .1 ounce a day. So she's growing, but slowly.

Today I fed her hard boiled eggs. She ate it like crazy. She's also started eating out of the feeder again. I'm hoping she'll keep growing and reach full size. If not, I guess I'll have another bantam chicken :)

Does anyone know if a chicken that stays small will still be able to lay eggs?

Been feeding the chick mash three times a day. The little gal seems to be getting bigger. I've been weighing her and she seems to be gaining .1 ounce a day. So she's growing, but slowly.

Today I fed her hard boiled eggs. She ate it like crazy. She's also started eating out of the feeder again. I'm hoping she'll keep growing and reach full size. If not, I guess I'll have another bantam chicken :)

Does anyone know if a chicken that stays small will still be able to lay eggs?

Yes they will still be able to lay egg's ..
celebrate.gif

Alright she likes the egg's Great
thumbsup.gif

Well keep us posted on her progress
caf.gif

Glad to hear that she's eating well and gaining weight, even though she's growing slowly and as you pointed out she may be a bantam. If so then they only gain a few grams per day in weight to begin with.

Just thought I'd update this. Holly is doing well and only slightly smaller than the other chicks (now looking like full sized chickens).

I started feeding fermented feed since it was about the same as mash. I feed them it twice a day since they like it so much. I still have the regular food out and they like that too.

Now I just have to wait a few months for the first egg.

Back
Top Bottom