Chick wing partially eaten by stray cat

canne50

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
My two week old chicks were attacked by a neighbor’s cat. At least three were outright eaten.
All other chicks seemed ok. Moved to a more secure cage - no more cat food here!
Today, I noticed blood on right side of a chick. On examination, she’s missing the end of her wing, but two ends of that bone stick out. No active bleeding.
She’s running about with her sisters and appears to be ok. No lethargy or infection. No pecking by other chicks, either.
No vet here. Will care for her myself.
X-L dog crate with finer mesh wire to keep in chicks. Their bedding is Timothy grass.
She’s a standard size Easter egger chick.

Should I snip off the broken bits of bone at the joint, clean, and dress with antibiotic ointment. I have some terrymicine ointment would that be better? Gauze wrap remaining wing to body until wing is healed? What about pain relief? I have some lidocaine ointment or can freeze that small area with cold spray.

I’d appreciate your ideas. She’s sleeping in a nest in my work-shirt pocket at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    712.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 6
I would be tempted to just leave it alone and see what grows back since it's at its peak growing stage right now. I would put some antibiotic ointment on it though as cats have germs and it still could get infected.

Electrolytes would help it get over the stress of what happened, and Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell water would help build its strength and help in healing. I hope it will be okay!

I would be tempted to just leave it alone and see what grows back since it's at its peak growing stage right now. I would put some antibiotic ointment on it though as cats have germs and it still could get infected.

Electrolytes would help it get over the stress of what happened, and Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell water would help build its strength and help in healing. I hope it will be okay!
Thank you! That’s exactly what I did. She’s doing quite well now.

Back
Top Bottom