Chick wing troubles-can you help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hooterville, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the emergency section! I'm hoping chick experts can help. [​IMG]

My chicks hatched on Friday, so they are 5 days old now. This morning I noticed 1 peeping very loudly and sort of holding her wings out to the sides. She also doesn't want to stand fully on her feet.

She's not spraddle leg, just looks uncomfortable. I did see her eating and drinking. I just don't know what to make of this.

If she's still like this tonight, I'll try to post a pic.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    Becky

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

One of mine was like that and it turned out to just be nothing at all. She was named Lil Orphan Annie because she looked so pathetic and now I can't tell which one is her!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Could she be too hot...pasty butt...injured wing on something? Just some initial thoughts of things I would check. I hope everything is ok.

Jody

4. Hooterville

No pasty butt--first thing I checked! Temp was about 92 and they have room to move around.

I'm wondering if she just got stepped on and is sore?? [​IMG]

She was eating this AM so I took that as a good sign.

Boy, I wish I could work at home!

Thanks!

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:I was going to say the same thing. She may just need a little space to be left alone from the other chicks. I do this by taking a piece of cardboard and wedging it, so the injured/sick chick has a little space to heal or recover, but still can get the heat from the lamp. Make sure of course to give her her own food an water. May want to make a mash out of it for her. It probably is nothing, but she could have hurt her wing or something as well. Keep us posted!

6. Hooterville

Thanks for the tips--on my way home now to check on her and everyone else.

Will let you know how she's doing later.

Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by