Chick with a broken back or neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amramr96, Apr 12, 2016.

1. amramr96

amramr96 New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Texas
    So my chick was attacked by a dog. I thought she would die so I let her lay in our garden peacefully and warm in the sun rays. I went back out side later that day to bury her and lo and behold she was still alive. I took her indoors and put her under a lamp and fed her a little water thinking she was going to pass through the night. I didn't know her injures so I didn't want to cull her if she could live. A few days have passed and she kind of has her neck sunken back but she can move still , she also has a bump on her lower back. Should I let her live and hope she can move around or should I just put her out of her misery?[​IMG]

2. Ladyhens

Ladyhens New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    How is your baby chick doing? Has she improved any?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Feed your chick some water with SaveAChick vitamins and electrolytes either by dipping her beak or with a dropper. Is she drinking and eating on her own? Add some of the water to a small bowl of her feed to make it soupy, and give her some chopped egg. Keep her warm, and she may surprise you by recovering. She may need a friend for companionship while she recuperates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by