Chick with cross beak *pics*

I wish I had known about this too. Had a dear little Aracauna that lived about a year and she just didn't thrive like she should have. Her beak didn't really start to cross until she got older but I didn't know what to do :( Now I will.

I wish I had known about this too. Had a dear little Aracauna that lived about a year and she just didn't thrive like she should have. Her beak didn't really start to cross until she got older but I didn't know what to do :( Now I will.

Yes this helps greatly realsis! Thank you so much! I will attempt this on Sunday, on her top beak. I will start very sparingly and make some mash for her. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Last edited:
your very welcome! if ANY questions just PM me and oil I'll get back to you as soon as I can. one more tip; get some septic or blood stop powder because sometimes bleeding will occur. don't panic if it happens. it stops soon. you can dab the powder on it. carefully. and that helps it stop. keep in mind you're helping her. in 4 months I've had mine bleed ONCE.it stopped shortly after and she wasn't sore. she ate within the next hour. I just want you to be aware it sometimes happens. not often but sometimes. also I've found feeding separate with mash really helps put weight on for them. its simple I use regular for feed and slip some vitamins in it and add warm water then mash with my hand. she will LOVE it! also I feed separate because mine gets picked on at feeding time as she is last in the pecking order. so this really helps. mine eats mash 2 times a day. morning and evening. she also eats seed but doesn't get nearly what she needs with seed so I substitute with mash. good luck and not to worry. remember this will really help her out! it relieves a lot of pressure on the jaw to trim. your in my thoughts! best wishes

My two crossed beaked Wyandotte sisters are over a year now and do just fine. I considered culling them, but decided to see how they developed. They are a tad bit smaller than their normal sister and BIG BROTHER, but are just fine. They are good layers and foragers.

The other was irritated at me and turned her butt to me in the box....no pic.

We have a 3 month old Salmon Faverolle (also from Ideal) who has a cross beak. She showed no issues until this week and she seems to be going downhill now. She has been unable to properly preen and clean herself because of her beak issue and with all this flooding and rain we have had, she's pretty much been standing with wet muddy feathers for about two days. I'm afraid she will not live. Seems to have a fungus or something on her feet. As to the severity, her's has actually been pretty gradual. It was not drastic and most didn't even see what I was talking about until she was close to two weeks old.

We have a lavender EE pullet who is now fiveish weeks old. We got her at Orshlen, and our local store used Estes hatchery. I just noticed this last night, and she seems to be doing OK. I am a little thrown off by it, since it is the first problem I have had with my flock and she is my husband's favorite. I guess we will just let it go until she isn't eating. I am a but uncomfortable trimming her beak by myself, but I guess it's better than letting her suffer. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I have a 5 week old cochin of some sort w bad scissor beak. I trimmed at about a week old, and had to do it again last night ( about a month later ) as it seems its upper beak re grew what I had clipped off w sterilized nail clippers.

the 1st treatment helped the chick eat better as it couldn't grasp bits of food well previously. 2cd treatment also helped BUT the clipped beak end showed the tiniest amount of blood. the SECOND the other chicks noticed they were going to EAT the chicks face off! So, of course, I took the baby back out and gave her her own little pen while the wound disappears.

I have a home made PVC feeder so the chick has deep food to peck at but still its become the runt. super friendly lil runt that lets ya pick it up. Hoping we can get the condition under control so we don't have to put the chick down :(

We have a lavender EE pullet who is now fiveish weeks old. We got her at Orshlen, and our local store used Estes hatchery. I just noticed this last night, and she seems to be doing OK. I am a little thrown off by it, since it is the first problem I have had with my flock and she is my husband's favorite. I guess we will just let it go until she isn't eating. I am a but uncomfortable trimming her beak by myself, but I guess it's better than letting her suffer. Wish me luck!
I used sterilized toe nail clippers that are super sharp. I calmed the bird 1st ( not hard as I hand feed ) got the beak lined up just right and clipped the tip off. The chick peeped a few times, shook its head once or twice and that was it. CAREFUL not to clip too much ( just like your own nails) or you'll get blood. My crossed beak baby got a speck of blood last night and would've been totally eaten it seems by morning had I not removed her. Many of the other chicks lost their minds going after that red spot on the chicks beak. The chick is in its own lil pen atm while that blood speck heals up for safety. Otherwise the chick is able to eat / drink better now. hope I'm doing things right and hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom