chick with cross beak

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by valley ranch, Jul 24, 2011.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, Just had a batch hatch. One hatched out with a cross beak, have you ever seen one live? Thankyou

Richard

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Mines a little over a year old now. Deep food and water dishes. He stays with chicks as he loves chick stater or corn only. He's very light for his breed and small, looks like his feathers belong to a bigger bird! But he's happy and thats what counts. He also needs one of his eyes wiped about 3 times a month because of bubbles in it and I have to clean his ears a few times a month. I do have to trim his beak every now and than also so he can eat. Good luck I would love to see pics of your cutie. mine is my avatar (peepers)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    I have an 11 week old with a cross beak.He did not hatch out that way,but started developing the cross beak when he was 4 weeks old.I feed him out of a deep dish and so far he is doing very well.

4. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    Mom over the years has recieved 3 from hatcheries with cross beak. The 1st on (named "Crooked Beak") was from her first batch of chickens she bought 10-12 yrs ago. Crooky lived to be about 7 or 8 yrs old. The 2nd one died as a chick, and the 3rd one......... I'm not sure..... I know I saw it feathered...... but not there at laying age. She might have butchered it considering that she hatches out eggs from the layer pen (lots of breeds, all together) and would not have wanted it genectically in eggs hatched (barn yard mixed)
    All 3 of them were EE pullets ordered.

She did have someone try to sell her a Polish hen- laying age or close to it- in a breeding pair that had a crooked beak...... she didn't get buy that though [​IMG] I find it odd a breeder would try to sell that (cull bird) as a breeder bird.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't look forward to that! The girls will handle it. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by