Chick with crusty eyes...need information/opinions...

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I have a mille fleur chick that is about 10 days old. Since the day it hatched it has had crusty eyes. If I put polysporin over his eyes twice a day, then they are fine. As soon as I stop, they crust right up again. No other symptoms of anykind.

Opinions??

you might need to switch to terramycin eye ointment..

first state vet supply has other ointments..
could be conjuntivitis..
or could need some Tylan for mycoplasma infection.

Quote:
William...what do you suggest to treat? I didn't treat his (yep, it's a little cockerel) eyes this morning but tonight there is a little bit of matter in one of them and it's starting to crust so I treated just that eye. Maybe he'll outgrow it now that he is eating chick starter??

great question-- I have one like this-- I have been washing them out.I did 10 days of terramycin and terramycin eye oinment-- but no change. I have it on heat still indoors and with cleaning often with saline they are staying cleaner. No one else has a problem.This is a momma raised chick.The only hting I could figure out was possibly e.coli from the hutch being dirty from 2 hens brooding and having 13 chicks in it.

This baby was hatched in our bator and put directly into a clean/sanitized brooder inside our house. I'm going to start this chick on poly-vi-sol twice a day for a week and then taper off and see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom