chick with curled toes, what to do

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i have a freshly hatched chick in the bator and it looks like all his/her toes are cured inward, i had a chick hatch like this last hatch and i didnt do anything about it and it can walk fine now and basically healed itself, but i heard its not common for them to heal themselves and that i need to straighten the toes out by taping them to little cardboard squares.
this is the first chick to hatch and i really dont wanna open the bator to do it now, but im leaving this morning and wont be home till tomorrow afternoon (my brother will be here but he wont know how to help the little chick)
so should io open the bator and try to fix it now or can i do it tomorrow when i come home?
ETA: i dont wanna doit now cuase i dont want to rellease the humidity from the bator i would rather wait till they all hatched

Last edited:
Sometimes they are a bit curled when they first come out of the egg. Give him a little while. When he's all dried off and a few hours old see if they are straightening on their own. If they are still crooked, make him a little orthopedic boot. Cut a thin piece of cardboard to pact the size of his foot. Then straighten his toes out on it and hold it on with a piece of bandaid. Extra vitamins also help. He will be fine in a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom