Chick with difficulty walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhmoore, Jun 12, 2010.

1. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I have an almost 3 week old Welsummer chick from MPC. It arrived with several others, and all seemed well. At just before 2 weeks of age, I noticed this one having difficulty getting around. I have always had my chicks on pine shavings from the start, and never had any problems. So, this is the footing I chose to use again. It almost seems as though this chick's legs are desperately weak, and like she can't get them under her properly. I did isolate her into her own cage, with her own food, water and heat lamp. I just don't know what to do for her. She does waddle with a lot of effort to get to her food and water. I have tried to "bicycle exercise" her little legs, thinking that may strengthen them. but, this seems to hurt, and I don't want to cause further damage or pain. I just don't know how to make her better, or how she'll survive as she gets bigger. She is much smaller than the chicks her same age, so I know she isn't thriving as well, despite the fact that she's still eating and drinking. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? I just am at a loss. Thanks in advance.

2. jhmoore

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    There is no one out there that can offer anything?

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Do they look normal? Do you have a picture? Have you tried vitamins and electrolytes in their water? Could it be spraddle leg, where the legs are too far apart to be able to walk comfortable?
    Posting a pic is the best thing to do.

4. jhmoore

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Thanks for the response. I will try to get a good picture, but there's not much to see in a photo- it just looks like she's laying down. It's not spraddle leg- they aren't ou to the side, but more just pushed out front. I have vitamins in the water of all the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by