Chick with discharge from vent acting lethargic

Sevelia12

Chirping
Nov 25, 2018
Hello I have never had chickens before so my knowledge is VERY limited and I think I need help. I just acquired 8 baby blue laced red Wyandotte’s on the 21st. They are about a week old. The first couple days I had some troubles with pasty butt. I monitored them round the clock and rinsed butts when necessary. I cooled the brooder off some and stopped having the pasty problems but one of my chicks (my daughters favorite ) continued to keep a dirty butt. There is a clearish/yellow discharge leaking from her vent and all the feathers around it are missing. This is NOT poo and the vent is not clogged. There seems to be some white patchiness to the skin where the leakage is drying. 2 more chicks have similar symptoms but not nearly to the extent of this one. Until today she has acted just like the others. Eating and drinking normally and running around when they would run around. Today she seems to be lethargic and not as interested in keeping up with the others. The treatments I have tried are as follows. I feed them medicated Nutrena chick grower/starter. I have given them 1 boiled egg mashed up with oregano and a bit of garlic powder per day for 2 days. I give them a tray of water with ACV and they have a bottle of water with probiotics and electrolyte solution mixed into it. I started the vinegar and probiotics yesterday. I was spraying the affected chicks bums with Vetericyn yesterday and earlier today but it seemed like the leakage wasn’t improving and I read where someone said they used blue kote and it worked a miracle so I have now washed all 3 and sprayed with blue Kote. Is there anything I’m overlooking?? I’m currently watching them and they’re all getting after the mashed up egg I just gave them. Oh and I have a small tray of dirt from my yard with a bit of their feed sprinkled around for them to scratch around in but they don’t seem too interested in doing so. I had 2 brooding lamps on them and someone told me they may be too hot so I turned one off. I really thought that did the trick last night since she perked up immediately but she seems to be going down again. She is eating right now. Pecking at it but she keeps running back over to the lamp by herself. She stays under the lamp MUCH more than any of the other chicks and she never passes up an opportunity to cuddle under my hand. She’s such a sweet baby and I feel like I’m failing her. I can’t believe our very first chicken endeavor has ended up with the family favorite being sick. :( They are living in an extra large dog kennel with papertowels and pine shavings. I am not set up to separate them. I have been watching their poo and it all looks normal aside from one runny poo this evening that was darker than any I’ve seen and has me alarmed again. It wasn’t bright red like blood but it was a rusty/ish brown. I don’t know for sure that it came from her as she was in a box with 2 other chicks at the time. She is drinking probiotic water right now so I know she’s drinking and I just saw her take a normal poo. I have read a LOT about vent gleet and I know it’s not likely in chicks this young but that is really what it seems like to me??? Will the probiotics combat inside yeast infections fast enough? I know the blue kote will only treat the outer. Any suggestions?? Sorry for rambling but HELP!

Update: I just had the thought that maybe she’s getting colder than the others because of having such a bare butt. I put a feeder over closer to the light and she ran over to it and started eating. I’ve seen her have 2 more normal poos. She still seems a little lethargic to me but hopefully I’m worrying myself over nothing.

Have you checked the temperature in the brooder? How big is it? It should be 95* lessening 5* each week until down to about 80 - 85*. Heat source on one side so they chicks can regulate their personal comfort. I'm thinking that little one is chilled & not getting enough to eat. Read up on the thread MHP by Blooie, you may want to switch to a heating pad for warmth.

Chicks/Chickens have what is called a "cecal" poop which is very mushy, dark & stinky, their poop is normally formed but every 7 - 8 poops is a cecal (nasty things). I'm thinking that's what you're seeing.

You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us know your time zone & weather conditions.

I have a thermometer in with them and it was reading about 105.. they weren’t running away from it though.. they stayed around the middle spread out and seeming happy. I turned the 2nd light off yesterday on the advice of a friend and have been keeping it between 90 and 95 and everyone still seems happy (actually a little happier now) aside from the one who does seem to be cold. Could it be because of the missing feathers? It’s her whole back end down between her legs. Anyway I moved the food over closer to the light and she went after it. Hoping she is perkier when I get home! Their space is an extra large kennel, about 4ftx5ft. I have a tiny little roost I made out of twigs and a couple things for them to hop on. The space seems adequate for now.. I just joined today and haven’t had a chance to work on a profile - sorry!! I live in Mississippi .. weather fluctuates between the 30s and 60s on a daily basis. Thank you for your reply!!

I cooled the brooder off some and stopped having the pasty problems but one of my chicks (my daughters favorite ) continued to keep a dirty butt. There is a clearish/yellow discharge leaking from her vent and all the feathers around it are missing. This is NOT poo and the vent is not clogged. There seems to be some white patchiness to the skin where the leakage is drying. 2 more chicks have similar symptoms but not nearly to the extent of this one.

I have read a LOT about vent gleet and I know it’s not likely in chicks this young but that is really what it seems like to me???
Hi @Sevelia12 Welcome To BYC:frow
I'm sorry that your chick is not doing well.
Can you post some photos of the chicks and brooder - especially of the clearish/yellow discharge that is leaking. Poop pictures are always welcome too :)

It sounds like you have made corrections to your temperature which is good. The chicks should have 1 warm spot while the rest of the brooder remains cooler.
You are doing what you can by keeping your chick hydrated.
If she seems like she is having trouble eating the crumbles, you can try offering some wet feed to see if that makes a difference. Just mix a small amount of crumbles with warm water. Mine like it about the consistency of thick oatmeal - you can play with consistency by adding more water or if it's too thin, add a little more crumbles.

Look forward to more information and your photos.

She seems pretty chipper this morning! She started eating a lot more since I moved the food closer to the light so I’m thinking the lack of feathers was causing her to get chilled (which explains why she would eat a bit and run back to the light!!) I know these things can go up and down so I’ll be keeping a close watch on her but for now it seems like we’re headed in a better direction. I’m going to continue the egg, herbs, ACV, probiotics, electrolytes, and Blu-Kote. If this IS an internal yeast infection are these treatments sufficient or is there more I need to do?? Thanks all for the replies!
I’ll try to get a good picture today also but it’s covered in blue now so may be hard to discern.

I’m posting pics of before washing, see the nasty poo butt? And after washing. It is already dripping a clear liquid immediately. I blow dried and applied blue kote again but I am losing heart. :( What am I doing wrong.

Attachments

• 0DD5906B-24F1-42FB-AA25-7096E5FD189E.jpeg
    0DD5906B-24F1-42FB-AA25-7096E5FD189E.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 37
  • 4121A17C-8802-42E2-9D16-81BEDED5F79B.jpeg
    4121A17C-8802-42E2-9D16-81BEDED5F79B.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 34

Back
Top Bottom