Chick with discharge from vent acting lethargic

:hugs Can't help but think it may have an internal problem :hugs Perhaps you should stop all supplements, just it's medicated chick feed moistened with water & some Nutri Drench, kept warm & a close eye. Try this for a few days, see how it goes. Keep cleaning the butt with warm water, apply some coconut oil to keep the area moist & "repel" wetness. :fl No clue what's going on but will tag others that have more experience ...

:bow @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @casportpony @micstrachan @Eggcessive @azygous @dawg53 :hugsThank you all in advance for any help here

You may want to update your profile with your location, that way we have an idea of your time zone & weather conditions.

Perhaps you should stop all supplements,
My thoughts exactly....plain water and a good chicks starter is all they really need.
All that other stuff can complicate any issues...and create other issues.

Here's my notes on chick heat, hope something in there might help:
They need to be pretty warm(~85-90F on the brooder floor right under the lamp and 10-20 degrees cooler at the other end of brooder) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker acclimation to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder. I do think it's a good idea to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to check the temps, especially when new at brooding, later I still use it but more out of curiosity than need.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
-If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
-If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
-If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. If you do use a heat bulb make sure it's specifically for poultry, some heat bulbs for food have teflon coatings that can kill birds. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.

I’m posting pics of before washing, see the nasty poo butt? And after washing. It is already dripping a clear liquid immediately. I blow dried and applied blue kote again but I am losing heart. :( What am I doing wrong.
I agree with the others, chick feed and plain water only. See if that makes a difference.

I do hope the leaking stops, but I am like @ChickNanny13 there is a possibility that there could be an internal problem.

I normally go by what the chicks tell me, whether they are too warm or too cold. I just checked my brooder, directly under the lamp is only 90 degrees. These chicks just hatched this past Sunday. 2 days old.
D6FD3353-97D7-4B5E-AFA4-FA29382937DB.jpeg 25A8C13B-4C76-42C1-A2AC-FE782AC8EC0D.jpeg

I have to echo the last few comments. Chick feed and fresh clean water only. I’d also still like to see a pic of the setup.
This is my setup. I have added a couple little things for them to jump up on and only using one of the lamps now. I fed mashed up food and water tonight.. everyone else loved it but she didn’t touch it. :/ will check on her in a bit. She does nothing but stand right under the light. She doesn’t really act lethargic but she isn’t moving away from the light hardly at all except to go drink water.

Attachments

• 4A89C961-5D59-446A-821B-E275A6E31A72.jpeg
    4A89C961-5D59-446A-821B-E275A6E31A72.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom