Chick with dried blood on bottom - HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GlenbeulahGal, Mar 24, 2009.

1. GlenbeulahGal

GlenbeulahGal New Egg

Aug 21, 2008
    N. Ft. Myers, FL
    My lastest hatchling has a chunk of dried blood on its bottom. I did a little research and I believe it might be part of the yolk sac that didn't go all the way inside and close up the naval. Is there anything I can do at this point? I have taken a warm wet paper towel 2x and tried to moisten this thinking it was droppings that were matted. Not the case. It actually looks like it is coming out of a little hole. I hope I didn't do any damage to the little one.

These were mail order eggs and I am not having the best hatch rate so I am desperate to whatever I need to do to keep everyone alive.

Tracy
    [email protected]

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I would just keep it warm and dry and try not to do any more to that area for a while. Hopefully it will absorb the remainder if it is yolk or the dry portion will just fall off. I would watch it around any other chicks to make sure they don't pick at it which could cause serious damage. I know how it is to have just a few chicks and feel that you can't afford to lose any of them - but unfortunately sometimes we do. This chick may just be okay though so try to relax and let time hopefully work things out.
    Hang in there and good luck!

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    dont try and pull it off, its like a scab in the area that the yolk gets absorbed threw right?
    it will fall off when its ready, i have had that before with one of my chicks, best to leave it alone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by