Chick with eye problem

tootall10

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2017
I have this chick that was born about a week ago and ever since she was born her left eye has been almost shut, and I thought it might be swollen but today I noticed some water was coming out of her eye so as I was looking at her eye I seen there was a small hole in her eye, I’ve included pics but you can’t see the hole but it’s in the corner by her beak, please help thank you

Attachments

• 5730532B-90A6-4831-BE7F-632F86D33F20.jpeg
    5730532B-90A6-4831-BE7F-632F86D33F20.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6B45EF51-0E3A-4354-AD0A-32F563A626F1.jpeg
    6B45EF51-0E3A-4354-AD0A-32F563A626F1.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 8
I'd use an "artificial tear" OINTMENT, like Genteal. NOT a product like Visine to "get rid of the redness," as that would damage her eye and be very painful! Make sure it is a LUBRICANT eye ointment. Put more in two or three times a day Just a tiny dot of the eye ointment will do; more with will just make a mess on her that debris from her surroundings will stick to. If your local drug store doesn't have the eye lubricant ointment, use the gel. Liquid drops only as third choice, as it really doesn't last long at all in the eye. If you have to use just the liquid drops, do it frequently to keep the eye moist and clean. If you have an antibiotic eye (opthalmic) ointment at home, you might try it, but I would NOT use Neomycin. Don't use ANYTHING in her eye that is not specifically formulated for eyes/ophthalmic use. Don't let the tip of the container touch her eye; it could create worse damage, and contaminate the ointment, gel, or drops in the container, and then it could GIVE her an infection. Good luck! Hopefully it's just a cornea (painful, but corneas heal.) Does her eye look deflated, or still maintaining it's shape?

Thank you for your help the eye does look sunk in and just to make sure, I give her those drops two to three times a day, and what is a cornea and how would I know if that’s what it is

It might be mycoplasma (MG) or another bacteria that is causing symptoms. I would get Terramycin eye ointment at your feed store (ask a clerk for it.) Use a small dot in the eye twice a day, but clean the eye with saline eye wash if there is gunk or crust. Hopefully that will treat her eye.

Back
Top Bottom