Chick with "frog legs"... deformed?

jophoto

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
White Hall, MD
Chick hatched out with legs that look like they are in a frog-like position. Heard of that? I'm hoping for the best and going to wait and see once it is dried, but usually the feet appear to be tucked up in the front more when they are born. These are on the sides and he/she absolutely can't use them at this point, hoping once he/she gets her muscles working, they may correct a bit?

Look up "spraddle leg" on this forum. See if that is what you have going on, and some people have posted successful remedies. Good luck with your fluff ball...

give it time it maybe nothing at all. after it has dried off and has been a few hours if it is still appearing to be messed up take a pic and we can see what it could possibly be and if so how to fix it.
smile.png

Thanks you guys... she can't move at all. When she pushes her legs out, they go out the sides... so yeah, I was hoping if it is something, it would be a spraddle-leg type of fix...
smile.png

Quote:
well it may be, or it may be that the joint is deformed. There is a baindaid fix for spraddle leg that works very well I will try to find the link. but basicaly you cut the baindaid in half lengthwise then fasten around each leg with the gauze part as the spacer. It may take a few times to get the position correct and a while for the chick to get used to it, but in a few hours it should start getting used to it, then let it wear it until it starts to unstick, by then the problem should be corrected.

If it is a deformality then it wont be fixable and you will probably need to cull.

Back
Top Bottom