Chick with grass blockage in vent, please help!

hayleyjean82

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hi there, we are first time chicken owners with a dozen chicks. They are around five weeks old. Our favorite, a Buff Orp, has semi-digested pieces of grass stuck in and blocking her vent. When I tried to pull them out, they were obviously attached to something internal. The area is red and swollen and some pinkish blood and puss had come out.

I gave her a warm Epsom salt bath, which she seemed to like. I tried giving her Olive oil but couldn't get her beak open. She's been sleeping now for hours (we have her separate from the other chicks.)

Is there anything else I can do? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

I found this for you---

"When I get a pasty, I take the chick in my left hand holding the whole head and body with the head facing my wrist so that only its butt is exposed out of the circle created by my thumb and index finger. I then turn on the laundry sink faucet to a gentle flow, but not a trickle of warm water, making sure to test the water for an appropriate temperature. I then hold the little bum under the water just far enough to hit the poop and let it run for as long as it takes to soften and remove most of it (usually 30-45 seconds). I then gentle rub any stubborn pieces with my right index finger until it is clean. Pat the little booty dry and put under the heat lamp in the brooder. No more than the tail and vent area gets wet and it is very gentle on the fuzz. No pulling out fuzz or feathers by trying to remove stubborn poop too soon.

As for preventing it, make sure the brooder temps are not too hot or too cold for the age of the chick. Start at 95 the first week and reduce temps by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered, or about 6 weeks or so. Keep the brooder clean, especially the water. Some will disagree, but I mix crumbles and plain yogurt (plain, not vanilla) to the consistency of thick oatmeal once or twice a week and give them as much as they will eat in about 5-10 minutes. Don't over do it because dairy can give them diarrhea, but a little yogurt replenishes the healthy gut flora and crowds out the bad stuff.

I have only had pasty butts when they first arrive, and then its usually only the chicks from the feed store.

UGCM

It was an very old response---Good luck

Welcome to BYC. Chicks who are eating grass and things other than chick starter must have access to chick-size grit, or small pebbles in their ranging area.

Back
Top Bottom