Chick with large crop

quackshack74

Songster
7 Years
Jul 30, 2014
twin lakes Wisconsin
Hello ,
I have become the on call chick rescuer for my local TSC. I just picked up a leghorn chick (couple days old) with an injured eye & a large crop. I have treated the eye, but wanted to get opinions on crop.
She is eating & active, & pooping, but this crop is thick but movable and feels like chick feed under the skin. I massaged it and gave her a couple drops of olive oil.
The chick feed has chick grit & water has electrolytes & nutridrench in it. I don't think it's sour crop but don't want it to develop into that.
Hoping she's just a lil piggy & eating too much.
Any other thoughts?

Hello ,
I have become the on call chick rescuer for my local TSC. I just picked up a leghorn chick (couple days old) with an injured eye & a large crop. I have treated the eye, but wanted to get opinions on crop.
She is eating & active, & pooping, but this crop is thick but movable and feels like chick feed under the skin. I massaged it and gave her a couple drops of olive oil.
The chick feed has chick grit & water has electrolytes & nutridrench in it. I don't think it's sour crop but don't want it to develop into that.
Hoping she's just a lil piggy & eating too much.
Any other thoughts?
Withhold feed for a few hours and monitor the crop for emptying

Make sure it doesn’t have pasty butt, and that it is eating and drinking. They can eat bedding, and if you see that, you can put some sheets of paper towel down over the bedding for a week.
I checked before & no pastey butt. She has a fleece blanket for bedding now,but at TSC they head pine shavings.
Thanks

Ok. It's been over 2 hours with out feed & her crop has gone down a bit. Now it is softer & the texture is soft & squishy. (Like a water balloon/ almost).
I just gave a couple more drops of olive oil and massaged. I did try to smoosh her crop with chick upside down. But i couldn't get anything out.
Do i just withhold feed longer & let the oil do its thing?

Crops in new chicks will get large after they eat. I wouldn’t give any more oil. It sounds fine it the crop went down some after not eating for a couple of hours. Do not turn it upside down. Just let it eat and drink. Try putting small amount of the feed in a cup with some water. Water helps with a crop problem. But I am not sure that you have a problem. Chicks usually don’t have sour crop. As long as it is active and alert, let it eat and drink.

Crops in new chicks will get large after they eat. I wouldn’t give any more oil. It sounds fine it the crop went down some after not eating for a couple of hours. Do not turn it upside down. Just let it eat and drink. Try putting small amount of the feed in a cup with some water. Water helps with a crop problem. But I am not sure that you have a problem. Chicks usually don’t have sour crop. As long as it is active and alert, let it eat and drink.
Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom