Chick with large knees

Amelia17839

Hatching
Mar 28, 2024
IMG_5493.jpeg
I have this chick she’s 5 weeks old, eats, drinks normally is not making lots of noise that would indicate pain but has these large solid lumps on both knee joints theyre not infection as she wouldn’t have survived this long and I should think if it was they would be squishy and warm but there not does anyone have any ideas what could be going on with her we’ve asked vets around us but none of them will see a chicken so we’ve just been monitoring them and making sure they’re not getting bigger or causing her pain. She gets around fine and touching them doesn’t cause her any discomfort.

Can you get photos of her standing from the front and the back?

Hard to know what's causing this.
Mycoplasma Synoviae comes to mind, but usually it's painful and the chicks are not able to walk/move around much.

Viral Arthritis is another one, but the symptoms don't quite fit...

Hmm...perhaps others may have a better idea? @Eggcessive @coach723

Can you get photos of her standing from the front and the back?

Hard to know what's causing this.
Mycoplasma Synoviae comes to mind, but usually it's painful and the chicks are not able to walk/move around much.

Viral Arthritis is another one, but the symptoms don't quite fit...

Hmm...perhaps others may have a better idea? @Eggcessive @coach723
Thank you I have tried getting pictures of her standing but she doesn’t sit still for more than 2 seconds but she stands the same as the other chicks, the only difference is she’s a bit smaller than them and they pick on her because of that so she’s separate from them.

Welcome to BYC. What is your general location? What breed is the chick? Is she an egg layer breed or a meat chicken? There are several different diseases that can cause swollen hocks in chicks that include mycoplasma, staph, reoviruses, and pullorum. I would try to find some testing or get a necropsy done if she dies by your state vet lab who will also do histopathology and testing. She may eventually have trouble getting around to get food. Let us know what happens with her.

Welcome to BYC. What is your general location? What breed is the chick? Is she an egg layer breed or a meat chicken? There are several different diseases that can cause swollen hocks in chicks that include mycoplasma, staph, reoviruses, and pullorum. I would try to find some testing or get a necropsy done if she dies by your state vet lab who will also do histopathology and testing. She may eventually have trouble getting around to get food. Let us know what happens with her.
Thank you I’m in Suffolk England, she’s a cream legbar so egg laying breed. Getting around does seem to be getting easier for her as she’s getting bigger but I know it can change.

Infection in poultry by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus can also cause swollen hock joints,. You might try a antibiotic that specifically targets staff bacteria. Take a look online and see what you can find about the swelling. There are several bacteria that can cause this swelling. It can cause lameness but if it's treated early she should be just fine. I would suggest to look at swelling on chicks knees online and find the one that closest resembles your chick. Then look up the proper antibiotics to treat the bacteria. I would start treatment soon so she won't have any lasting issues from this. Hope this helps a bit. From what I can see (I'm not a professional) but it's caused by a specific bacteria. Staff is one that can cause this as well. I'd start her on a small dose (ask a vet for proper dosing) of antibiotics that will kill staff. Best of luck and please keep us posted on how she is doing. I'm rooting for her. I will be thinking of her!

Back
Top Bottom