Chick with leg binding (spraddle) - how to reduce swelling at [one] knee

Kaurana

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

We have a 2 day old chick that has bindings since yesterday due to Achilles tendon and/or spraddle leg (we continue to investigate/treat, but we are not very experienced at this.) We are confident the binding is NOT too tight, but this chick has developed swelling on one knee right after hatching. It is lively and healthy otherwise. We gave electrolytes and it is pooping well.

How can we help it? Can we use any anti-inflammatory intervention/treatment? We believe the swelling is partially from trauma from the difficult hatch (this was the last chick to hatch and it had to put up a fight - it was exhausted and we had trouble with high tumidity at hatch due to 10 others hatching before this one and adding humidity to the incubator...) and partially from the effort of working out (yesterday it was hopping about and complaining about the bindings, but still going for walks!)

Today it is quieter (but not morose) and we think maybe it is sore from all the exercise yesterday!? It rests with its tummy down because it has trouble "sitting" - should we place it in a cup so it can "sit"? (I read that suggestion somewhere)

We are mostly seeking help with the swelling - should we soak leg in warm water or something?

It is currently living by itself inside the incubator at 95F as we have a heat plate and 10 other chicks running around the brooder. The incubator has nice ventilation ports and it seems comfortable there. There is no water due to drowning risk and because we want to monitor intake.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Sincerely,
Thais

Sorry no one replied to this thread either, and sorry for your loss :hugs. If this happens again, post pictures and a video. To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then copy and paste the link here.

Thanks again!!! If anyone has tips on minimizing swelling (whatever cause/reason), I would still appreciate learning for my future knowledge! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom