Chick with leg bleeding and oozing! HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EilighsFarm, Jan 7, 2015.

1. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello, so I just hatched a a silkie chick. It looks like it has spraddle (splay) leg so i wrapped the two legs together in a bandaid to fix it. I switched out the band aid and it pulled out some of the fuzz on its legs. I put a new one on. I just came back to check on the chick and up at the top of one of its legs it bigger/flatter/swelled. I looked closing and there was some blood and ooze. Ive noticed lately its been walking on its legs and not the feet. It can barely walk and falls over because of me fixing the spraddle leg with the band aid. I have to give it water myself and i can't seem to get it to eat. Its about 3 days old moving onto 4 days old in 2 hours. It needs to eat. Im worried about it eating and, mostly the leg problem. PLEASE HELP! Im worried. Thank you!

2. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    I think the bone is formed wrong on its leg. On the side thats oozing/bleeding its flat and, on the other side its like a normal chick leg with the bone where it needs to be. Also, the leg thats bleeding a little bit is the leg that went out like spraddle/splay leg. I think that might have to do with this problem.

3. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Do you have a picture??

4. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm sorry I don't know much so I won't be able to help hopefully someone will find this thread

5. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    The leg might be bleeding because the glue on the band-aid could be pulling the feathers off. I would recommend medical gauze and tissue to be safer next time you have a feather legged chick with spraddle leg. If it's not eating or drinking, and its walking on its legs and not feet, I hate to be a burden of bad news, but it might not make it if its that bad off. Day old chicks can survive on the yolk for 3 days, and need food and water after that for survival. You could try to reposition the bone but I don't think it would help, and you would risk breaking the chick's leg.

At the most I would suggest keeping it as comfortable as possible and try to keep food and water near it, and see if it gets better. I wish the best of luck to you.

6. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Thankyou! Im trying to get it to eat. Its not eating. I guess ill see what happens. Thanks again.

7. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    Hey no problem, I'm glad to see you are trying your best. Sometimes the best way to see what time tells, unfortunately. :(

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How is the little chick doing now? Have you managed to get any food into it?

9. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello! I got the little chick to eat. Well to drink but, i fed it by hand[​IMG]Bad news.... I went into the kitchen to go get something to eat. When i came back to check on the chicks the little thing drowned it the waterer[​IMG]! I have one of those plastic waterers that everyone uses and, it worked for me with every batch of chicks i had "none of the chicks drowned except this one". It turns out that the little chick figured out how to drink and, went over to get a drink of water when i walked into the water instead and couldn't get out because, of its leg. Very sad. I guess things like this happen all the time.[​IMG]

10. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    [​IMG] I am very sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by