Chick with leg problem

MoreWishes

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Rescue, CA
Hello!

I have 2 Frizzle chicks that hatched about 10 days ago. One has deformed toes and the other has a splayed leg which we have tried to fix but to no avail. When we "hobble" her legs she seems to get along okay and can stand and eat..once the brace if off one leg goes back to sticking straight out the side. Now it appears that the toes on the bad leg is dying...Does anyone have advice, can a chicken survive with one leg??? *sigh*

they can survive this, but chances are kinda slim. make sure they get plenty of water, add 1 tablespoon of sugar or unpasteurized apple cider vinegar per quart of water. keep any poop cleaned off their butts.

this is typically caused by low humidity in the incubator or low temperatures. if they were late hatching it was probably the second.

if these birds survive, they will usually not make good breeding stock; but will be ok as layers.

best of luck.
brian

Thanks for the reply Brian,

I have paddles on both of the chicks feet and the one with the bad leg rehobbled again. I don't keep my chicks for breeding purposes, we just like chickens and keep them as pets and layers
big_smile.png

I will add the sugar to the water as you suggested. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom