1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with lump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jen, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Jen

Jen New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    Hi all,
    I'm new to chickens/chicks. My 6 Americana babys arrived on Thursday. One of them seems to have a lump on its belly it didn't have when I received them. Sort of soft and squishy. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you mean the chest area, that's probably the crop where they process the food. It's normal.

3. Jen

Jen New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks,
    After reading the other posts I think thats what it might be, its even larger this morning. This chick seems to be pecking a lot at the shavings and the others aren't. Does anyone think it could be that its trying to eat the pine shavings. Maybe I should isolate it from the others and take away the shavings? What do you think.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would definately take out the shaveings for a few days....just plain old papertowels.

5. chickengirl_23

chickengirl_23 New Egg

Apr 3, 2007
    OHH! Do be careful with the cedar shavings!! I read in the book, "Keep Chickens!" that the cedar shavings are bad for their digestion and their immune systems! What did I use? I cut strips of old bed sheets and layed one on the bottom of your container (I used a plastic storing box) care ful for lose threads and you'll hate me for this - wash the poop in a bucket of water and dry it on a tree or clothes line!You may have to do this a t least two times a day! (i did) [​IMG] Don't repeat them so often- use a new strip! Good luck!

6. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I kept mine on bath towels for the first week or so. Worked great- every other day I just shook the towel outside, threw it in the wash on the soak-then-hot-wash cycle, and the towels look exactly as clean and fresh as before I owned chickens. No muss, no fuss, don't tell my mother!

-MTchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by