CHICK WITH ONE LEG!!! HELP!!

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I let the 11 chicks, who are 4 days old out to free range with their hatching mom Delilah today. Delilah has had 5 batches of chicks so is very experienced.
They all came back good but one. It has literally ripped it's leg off. Minimal bleeding, but the leg is most likely going to fall off, barely hanging onto the rest of the body. It's limp and everything. I don't want lecturing on free range, that's how I raise my chickens, if anything it was some barn kittens that grabbed it. Such is mother nature though..
If it does lose a leg what should I do?
I won't sell it at the auction where I am selling the other chicks, it would bring down the price of all the chicks.

Last edited:
You might wanna let nature take its course. I've heard of 1 legged birds before! But if the chick has trouble walking (It obviously will) I would consider putting it out of its misery. I know it would be sad, but I wouldn't want any of my own chicks to suffer! It's your choice.

I would consider culling it.. If its a broiler, it will never support the weight that's incoming. If it's a production bird, it essentially has zero chance of having any quality of life. I would cull it now while it's small and easier to dispatch.

I would consider culling it..  If its a broiler, it will never support the weight that's incoming.  If it's a production bird, it essentially has zero chance of having any quality of life.  I would cull it now while it's small and easier to dispatch.

It's a dual purpose. If that makes a difference.

One that small, I would probably decapitate it. Make sure you have a very sharp blade and use a single swift stroke - no sawing or such. It will be bloody but it will be virtually instant...

I let the 11 chicks, who are 4 days old out to free range with their hatching mom Delilah today. Delilah has had 5 batches of chicks so is very experienced.
They all came back good but one. It has literally ripped it's leg off. Minimal bleeding, but the leg is most likely going to fall off, barely hanging onto the rest of the body. It's limp and everything. I don't want lecturing on free range, that's how I raise my chickens, if anything it was some barn kittens that grabbed it. Such is mother nature though..
If it does lose a leg what should I do?
I won't sell it at the auction where I am selling the other chicks, it would bring down the price of all the chicks.
don't cull it just let nature take its course

To what point? The chick may survive the leg wound only to be poorly nourished and stressed. It risks constant injury by flailing and falling around and it is very likely that it will constantly be harassed by other chickens - this will likely only worsen as it ages. Culling a 5 day old chick is easy and instant and will alleviate any suffering that the bird has in its future. It's irresponsible as a steward to allow it to suffer.

I think there is a thread on here about humanly gasing chicks. I had to cull a deformed chick using this method and I found it very quick and the chick just fell asleep, not waking up.

The chick is probably in lots of pain and in the long run it probably won't have a good quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom