Chick with only one wing feathering... ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardenWren, Dec 22, 2016.

1. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    I've been raising chickens for a long time, but in all that time I've never encountered anything like this before. A little backgroung info: This little one was the last to hatch (12/15) from his/her clutch, a day late, and has been on the smaller side from hatching. S/He's from both an unrelated Olive Egger hen and roo, all his clutch mates are in perfect condition, growing as expected, and are feathering beautifully. This little one has begun feathering on his/her right wing, but has nothing coming in on the left, not even the slightest presentation of pins showing. Google has proven useless in helping me figure this quandary out, hopefully someone here might Crack it. On a side note, it's eating well, no signs of pasting or lethargy, isn't being picked on, is kept in my brooder room, in the house,in ideal temps on clean bedding that is changed frequently. [​IMG]

2. adlynch

adlynch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC
    I'm no help, but curious to see what you come up with. I have a chick with no wing feathers. This is a photo from about a week and a half ago. It's hard to get an updated pic because she is not super social like her sisters. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old now and she seems to be doing fine... just still no feathers. I've had a few people tell me she may be a HE! Anyway, just curious to see responses to your post since it's only on one side! Good Luck!

[​IMG]

3. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    Everything I've read so far has given me quite the education on how genes determine the feather rate, fast/normal, delayed, etc, but not one thing to explain why this is happening. Perhaps your little chick is a delayed feathering chick?

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Take a look at this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_feathering_in_chickens It gets into why some chicks are very slow to feather out while other are fast. It depends on breed and genetics.

In the case of this one-wing wonder, I wouldn't be surprised if it carries genes for both normal feathering and slow feathering, resulting in a dual rate of feather growth. The slow side is sure to catch up to the other wing eventually.

Recessive genes. Gotta love 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by