Chick with Pasty Butt/Prolapse? HELP!

LittleRedCoop

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Hi all,

Today I went to Tractor Supply and brought home some pullets. One little girl, my Australorp, had pasty butt. After cleaning it off I noticed a sac-like irritated protrusion from her vent, sounds liek prolapse. It must really hurt because she cries when I try to clean it. I had to ignore the cries even though they broke my heart and I rinsed her bum in lukewarm water until all the poo was gone, and then applied a little vaseline with a Q-tip. She poos normally and with what seems to be little trouble and she's eating/drinking/running about as normal.

What should I do? Do I, *gulp*, try to push it back in, or do I continue cleaning it a few times each day and apply vaseline and hope it goes back to normal? I really feel for this girl because it seems to hurt. Please help!!!

Poor baby...soaking it and cleaning it is good but I can't say anymore than that. Hopefully someone with a lot knowledge will reply.

Thank you. I am very concerned, she seems fine expect for when I clean it. But I can't imagine it feels good :(

I don't even know if the vaseline is good or not. Why don't you try posting under the emergency section. I think you will have better luck getting a response.
Be specific as how old, symptoms you described and whether or not it's eating, drinking, moving about.

PS. Please do not let this incident discourage you about chickens. Sometimes crap happens that we have control over, natures way of dealing with things sometimes. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thank you!! I may do that. Her little bum looks much better today than it did the day we brought her home. The prolapse is still present but it doesn't look as irritated and I am applying the vaseline several times a day. I did read that vaseline should help. It is also helping the poo pass easier. Thank you very much for your encouraging words, and I will not let this discourage me!! I raised chicks last Spring with no issues. I am being tested this time around and I am determined to get through it. She is a very brave and active chick with lots of courage.

I don't even know if the vaseline is good or not. Why don't you try posting under the emergency section. I think you will have better luck getting a response.
Be specific as how old, symptoms you described and whether or not it's eating, drinking, moving about.

PS. Please do not let this incident discourage you about chickens. Sometimes crap happens that we have control over, natures way of dealing with things sometimes. Good luck!!

Yes of course! Her name is Penelope
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom