Chick with poop crusted to butt. Please help me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tadpole98, Mar 20, 2012.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I went to get some hamburger and check on our chicks( they are right next to each other) and something weird caught my eye. there was, on the back( or underside) of a chick, tons of poop crusted there. i got some of the poop off so he could relieve himself, but i cannot get the other stuff off. its from the vent to the legs just completely crusted. how can i get this off?
    - Emma

2. oh no! i am sorry, i don't know how to do this, but i hope he gets better!

3. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    a few of our silkies had this problem , we used a baby wipe and warm water to loosen it up and the wife said she seen on here to apply some olive oil to the area to prevent the sticky poo! I hope this helps[​IMG]

4. gr8bskt

gr8bskt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Hi Emma,

Our first chicks are 4 weeks old now, and a few of ours had some crusting. I read to wipe with a wet paper towel, and guess what? I rubbed the down right off her bun! I switched to warm water in a spray bottle, and sprayed ever so gently - very gently - on the crust. That loosened it up instantly, then I just removed the crust and then very gently dried those little rears with a super soft paper towel. Just don't let them chill. Just make sure that they're warm and dry after de-pasting.

Congrats on your peeps!

- Jenn

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    We use a tiny bowl full of warm water, a Q-tip, and cotton balls. I dip the q-tip in warm water and try to clean it off that way. If it looks to tough, I will dip its little butt down into the warm water and let him soak. It never takes more than a minute and its loose enough to finish the job with the q-tip. I the gently dry his little pooper with a cotton ball. This seems to work great on a crusty butt.

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Thanks everybody! It only took me about 5 minutes to do, because I combined everyones advice into one. [​IMG] the chick is now warm, dry, and clean. Thank You very much!
    - Emma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by