Chick with possible umbilical hernia - need advise!

theshany

Hatching
Apr 21, 2020
My chicks hatched last night and all is well except for one. It hatched but it looked as though some of the yolk didn't absorb properly and was hanging from the umbilical cord and on the end of it the egg shell was stuck in a mess around my chick's leg. With a warm wet cloth, I managed to remove the shell and isolated the chick so she could rest. The yolk has since dried up (there wasn't a lot) but she's got a half-pea sized lump around her navel. It's very small but a little red looking and the dried yolk/cord is hanging and getting caught on her toes. I'm worried she won't make it. Is it safe to cute the cord to prevent further tugging or is it too soon? Her leg is gimped and she wants to get up and go but she's not eating or drinking due to her immobility...
Is there anything I can do to help her? I've used polysporin on the lump because it looked red and placed her under the heat, but she was quite distressed after handling her. Thanks guys. Asking from Ontario Canada!

Dont know the solution, but if you find out one - pls text me. I have basically the same thing. Cord scab came off with a lump under it and it is bleeding a little. Put some neosporin on it and he is resting. Not sure what Else would help. Mine is under a heat lamp though.

Dont know the solution, but if you find out one - pls text me. I have basically the same thing. Cord scab came off with a lump under it and it is bleeding a little. Put some neosporin on it and he is resting. Not sure what Else would help. Mine is under a heat lamp though.
I've managed to get some sugar water into him but I had to fight him a bit. He doesn't want any food or water. 💔 He's been sleeping for a few hours now so I'm hoping the water rejuvenates him a little. Good luck with your little one. I hope we find a solution!

I've managed to get some sugar water into him but I had to fight him a bit. He doesn't want any food or water. 💔 He's been sleeping for a few hours now so I'm hoping the water rejuvenates him a little. Good luck with your little one. I hope we find a solution!
Keep us informed, mine seems okay this morning. I'd say scramble an egg for him but he is probably too little to eat that. The sugar water should help as long as you take it slow ---- only say that from my bad experience - I tried to force it and it did not work.

Keep us informed, mine seems okay this morning. I'd say scramble an egg for him but he is probably too little to eat that. The sugar water should help as long as you take it slow ---- only say that from my bad experience - I tried to force it and it did not work.
I was having this same issue, still am kind of. I had a little tiny baby chick born with an umbilical lump/stump? About the size of two jelly beans. She was lethargic, didn’t want to eat or drink. I syringe fed her raw egg yolk, probably 2 ml a day. Along with sugar water and some regular water. She was crying and chirping this whole time, didn’t want to lay down on her stomach like the rest of the birds. I separated her to prevent pecking and allow her some rest, and with a day of TLC she began to perk back up. Had to keep encouraging her to eat and still was syringing water, but the last two days she has been eating and drinking completely on her own. The first day I put coconut oil on the lump, then dawn soap and water the next day to wash of the oil, then an alcohol and water solution to keep the “wound” sterile. Let me know if your chicken pulls though. So worried for all of our babies!

Attachments

• 69FB9A86-599F-4B0A-A501-5BD71193EA44.jpeg
    69FB9A86-599F-4B0A-A501-5BD71193EA44.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 26
  • F8C71079-EE6E-4769-B51A-DBBE7E2B6BFA.jpeg
    F8C71079-EE6E-4769-B51A-DBBE7E2B6BFA.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DF7A75D6-8BF7-43E8-8016-EDC16B2A3DED.jpeg
    DF7A75D6-8BF7-43E8-8016-EDC16B2A3DED.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 26
I was having this same issue, still am kind of. I had a little tiny baby chick born with an umbilical lump/stump? About the size of two jelly beans. She was lethargic, didn’t want to eat or drink. I syringe fed her raw egg yolk, probably 2 ml a day. Along with sugar water and some regular water. She was crying and chirping this whole time, didn’t want to lay down on her stomach like the rest of the birds. I separated her to prevent pecking and allow her some rest, and with a day of TLC she began to perk back up. Had to keep encouraging her to eat and still was syringing water, but the last two days she has been eating and drinking completely on her own. The first day I put coconut oil on the lump, then dawn soap and water the next day to wash of the oil, then an alcohol and water solution to keep the “wound” sterile. Let me know if your chicken pulls though. So worried for all of our babies!
I'm so happy to hear about your lil chicky! Unfortunately ours ended up becoming worse and we chose to put her down. Broke my heart... She had a very hurt/broken leg and it took its toll. Hope your chicky pulls through. Sounds like she will. 💜👍

I'm so happy to hear about your lil chicky! Unfortunately ours ended up becoming worse and we chose to put her down. Broke my heart... She had a very hurt/broken leg and it took its toll. Hope your chicky pulls through. Sounds like she will. 💜👍
I am so so so sorry to hear that. I lost one of my babies on day two. She just wasn’t going to make it and passed in her sleep. It was devastating. This is my first time with incubating eggs, and I had grown to love them all. It hurts losing them. Sending love your way.

I am so so so sorry to hear that. I lost one of my babies on day two. She just wasn’t going to make it and passed in her sleep. It was devastating. This is my first time with incubating eggs, and I had grown to love them all. It hurts losing them. Sending love your way.
It sure does! You too. Best wishes with the others.

I've got this now. How do you tell if it's intestines or not? I dont know whether to moisten this or dry it out.

I've got this now. How do you tell if it's intestines or not? I dont know whether to moisten this or dry it out.
I’m honestly not too sure. This is my first time. However, I treated mine like it was an internal protrusion and it seems to be working. When she was first born it was still squishy. I separated her on day two. I put coconut oil on the mass for two days with a qtip to retain moisture. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties and isn’t harmful. On day 4 the mass was hard, dry and had shrunk about 1/3 of its size. This day I used a syringe with warm water and dawn dish soap then rinsed to remove the excess oil and get her fluffy again. (She was having issues with being cold) I did this again but with only warm water the next day. She has also been having issues with pasty butt so we have been having to clean that as well. I dabbed a rubbing alcohol and water solution around the mass to disinfect and she is doing great. She has regained the 5 grams she lost.

Back
Top Bottom