Chick with scissor beak and one eye

He doing good for the most part, he acts like a normal chick but does have some trouble eating.

As long as he can feed himself that's a good thing. If he does start to struggle to eat or can't gain/keep weight, that's where you'll need to make a quality of life decision.

I would give it a chance at life! If it has a really hard time eating I would cull sometimes you have to think of quality of life, but just to prove it is possible to keep a scissor beak chicken.This is Sizzy she is now one year one months old and is happy and healthy. She can eat by herself for the most part. I sometimes take their feed and mix it with water to make a mash to make it easier for her to eat, and I do have to trim her beak but it is possible to keep disabled chickens. She also has a best friend called munchkin she has a deformed leg and in the past had lots of health issues. But is now doing the best she has ever been! Im not sure what to do about the eye though.
aw she is adorable!! My crossbeak chicken Thin Mint (showed in my avatar) LOVES oatmeal (make sure its old fashioned oats though!). She is the sweetest and her buddy is Popcorn our calico princess hen. I mix crumbles with water so it has a similar consistency as oatmeal since her crossbeak is so severe (the bottom part goes all the way to the side, the picture of her in my avatar is from last year). Sizzy's markings are so pretty too!!! Thin Mint is part bantam cochin silkie so she has the fluffiest legs, feet, and muffs+beard. Her mother was a black copper maran so she has kept the golden copper ring around her neck.

Did you have to cull?

I have a chick born with no eye, and scissor beak. It wasn't hatching on its own, so I helped a bit. That's when I noticed it. Then, I hoped it would die before fully hatching. It wasn't dying. THEN, the only other chick I had helped hatch, but may have waited too long, or so I thought, well, THAT chick bounced to life, and fluffed out. I was amazed. Thought it bled too much, but nooo. Well, that chick went over to lay down with the one eye/scissor beak 1/2-hatched, chick. 😳🙄. All the other 12 chicks stayed away or pecked on one-eye -scissor chick.
Because the other chick was hanging out with one-eye, I felt like I needed to try a lil harder, before I let one-eye go. I got the shrink wrapped shell off him, bathed him in warm water which seemed to perk him up, and then put only the one other chick with him, that acted like his keeper. I did all I will reasonably do for him. I kinda hope he passes, and if so, at least he wasnt shrink wrapped. Chicken husbandry is not for the faint of heart. 😔😥

Back
Top Bottom