Chick with umbilical cord? Advice please... (I'm a newbie)

InsaneChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
In the land of the chickens :)
It still has it's umbilical cord attached to the egg and it fully got out of the egg this morning. It's chirping but it's laying on it's back and it seems like it's trying to flip over (It's not so steady on it's feet and then it goes right back to being on it's back) what should I do? If she could get the umbilical cord off I'm sure it'd be easier on her... What can I do to help her?

Last edited:
last week end, i had a chick do this same thing. she hatched, had part of the shell attached to one end and the other end attached to her tummy.

I let her walk it off. she drug the thing around making a HUGE mess. but eventually it fell off on its own.

Sometimes I just make sure that the shell is close to the chick so that there is no pulling on the navel. Other times I will carefully remove chick and shell from incubator and re-close incubator. Then take my scissors and clip the umbilical cord close to the chick down being very careful to make sure all toes are out of the way. Usually the circulation has already closed off the blood supply from the umbilical cord to the shell and things are fine. Then I put the chick back in on its belly to rest in the incubator. I might place a hot folded paper towel off in a corner of the incubator (depending on incubator style) to get the humidity back up to what it should be. I'm not saying that you should do this; I'm just saying that it's an option.

Sometimes I just make sure that the shell is close to the chick so that there is no pulling on the navel. Other times I will carefully remove chick and shell from incubator and re-close incubator. Then take my scissors and clip the umbilical cord close to the chick down being very careful to make sure all toes are out of the way. Usually the circulation has already closed off the blood supply from the umbilical cord to the shell and things are fine. Then I put the chick back in on its belly to rest in the incubator. I might place a hot folded paper towel off in a corner of the incubator (depending on incubator style) to get the humidity back up to what it should be. I'm not saying that you should do this; I'm just saying that it's an option.

That sounds like a good idea. Cutting it close to her won't bleed or anything? Because I may just do exactly what you said..

Quote:
No promises, but I've done it a number of times and haven't had any bleeders. I can't see what's going on there with your little chicky, so I can't really make any recommendations ... just mention what I've tried. I usually just go with my gut and hope for the best. And sometimes I do nothing at all and it separates on its own as a previous poster mentioned.

Supposedly, when the chick is zipping to get out of the shell (pecking around in a circle around the top of egg), the chick is putting a twist in the umbilical cord to shut off the blood supply and switch over to its own circulation supply. I read that once, but I have no idea if it's true or not. It sounds reasonable, though, I think.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your little chicky.

No promises, but I've done it a number of times and haven't had any bleeders. I can't see what's going on there with your little chicky, so I can't really make any recommendations ... just mention what I've tried. I usually just go with my gut and hope for the best. And sometimes I do nothing at all and it separates on its own as a previous poster mentioned.

Supposedly, when the chick is zipping to get out of the shell (pecking around in a circle around the top of egg), the chick is putting a twist in the umbilical cord to shut off the blood supply and switch over to its own circulation supply. I read that once, but I have no idea if it's true or not. It sounds reasonable, though, I think.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your little chicky.
I went to the incubator and she already got it unconnected. So she is free of it. But she keeps wiggling on her back. If I put her on her tummy she falls right back on her back. Should I just leave her and let her rest? I figured that would be the best idea for now.

I went to the incubator and she already got it unconnected. So she is free of it. But she keeps wiggling on her back. If I put her on her tummy she falls right back on her back. Should I just leave her and let her rest? I figured that would be the best idea for now.

Glad she got unconnected. Sorry, but I have no clue about the flipping over on back issue, but letting her rest sounds like about all that you can do right now.

Wow...you need to stay out of the incubator or you will ruin the other hatchlings. Without enough humidity the inner shell becomes like a shrink wrap & will suffocate the chicks. Also the inner shell will become rubbery making it hard for them to break free. I know how hard it is to watch them flop around. If you must barely lift the lid to get the chick out & be done with it. Put it under a heat lamp & in 24 hrs. it should be walking.

Wow...you need to stay out of the incubator or you will ruin the other hatchlings. Without enough humidity the inner shell becomes like a shrink wrap & will suffocate the chicks. Also the inner shell will become rubbery making it hard for them to break free. I know how hard it is to watch them flop around. If you must barely lift the lid to get the chick out & be done with it. Put it under a heat lamp & in 24 hrs. it should be walking.

I haven't been opening the incubator....I've been watching her through the top. I was just wondering because she was having a hard time getting on her feet.

Back
Top Bottom