Chick with watery poo

andreaj

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, but I have really enjoyed reading through this site for some time.

I have a 6 day old chick that is not doing well. It was fine last night, but this morning it's bum was all covered in white poo and it was acting a little funny. I washed off it's bum and since then it has pooped several more small watery/white poops. It doesn't want to eat or drink, but I have been making it drink. I have given it plain water, water w/ ACV, and a little canola oil(the only oil we have). It's crop feels a little puffy(I think) and after it drinks a little, it puffs up more. When I massage it, I can sometimes feel it go 'squirt'. Also, it won't lay down when it is sleeping.

Does this sound like a crop problem or could it be trouble with the back end??

Oh, and it was outside for awhile yesterday afternoon for the first time.

what bedding are you using?

after the chick hasn't eaten or drank for a while..the crop should feel empty..feel the crop for any lump or grainy feeling..
check the vent and make sure it's clear and not plugged up..

IMHO..6 day old chicks should be kept where they can only eat chick feed., and kept at about 90 degrees..
chilling can cause digestive problems..
but it could have pecked something that is in the crop..

Thanks for your help. Poor thing died last night. It was on hay and paper. It's crop felt puffy, even after it had only had very little to drink. The vent was clean on the outside...I didn't know if there was any way to check it further. It was going clear/white runny poos up until right before it died. No brown poos all day. I don't *think* it was too cold because our weather is in the high 90s right now, so that's why I was guessing it ate something. The other chicks are all fine and just as rowdy as ever
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom