Chick Won't Stand Up

megshomestead

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery and went to pick them up today at the post office this morning. Well, it's the end of the day and we have only 12 left. 13 are officially dead. I believe it's because McMurray shipped them out on Saturday and they probably sat in the cold on Sunday. But we've been nursing the 5 or 6 that need help back to health. But there are a few that won't stand up whatsoever. What do I do?

Hi, i am so glad I read your post...I ordered 29 chicks from McMurray and am having the SAME problem!!! I Only have 11 out of 29 left.. I got a call from the post office stating it was sunday and they were there (noonish) But they closed at 2 before i could come for them...I could not get them till 10am this morning so they were all that time in the box....I opened the box to find 8 dead when I got them, and a total of 14 casualties only a couple hrs later....even the healthy ones started dropping and in a matter of 20 min. were dead. I currently have only 11 live and onehas been fading in/out- so we'll see about him... :(

They grow wobbley, fall over on their side, twitch off and on, peep, then gasp a bit and die.... I have given them heat lights, crumbles and save-a-chick electrolytes in their warm water.... not sure what more we can do.

This has been very sad for us :(

Hi, i am so glad I read your post...I ordered 29 chicks from McMurray and am having the SAME problem!!! I Only have 11 out of 29 left.. I got a call from the post office stating it was sunday and they were there (noonish) But they closed at 2 before i could come for them...I could not get them till 10am this morning so they were all that time in the box....I opened the box to find 8 dead when I got them, and a total of 14 casualties only a couple hrs later....even the healthy ones started dropping and in a matter of 20 min. were dead. I currently have only 11 live and onehas been fading in/out- so we'll see about him... :(

They grow wobbley, fall over on their side, twitch off and on, peep, then gasp a bit and die.... I have given them heat lights, crumbles and save-a-chick electrolytes in their warm water.... not sure what more we can do.

This has been very sad for us :(

I know exactly how you feel. For the 6 in and out, they fell over and were wobbly or would shake. I think its been because its so cold. I basically took those 6 and individually fed them sugar water through an eyedropper and I sat them next to our heater and watched them closely. We still have one that has attempted to get up but still can't entirely stand on his own. When I had them next to the heater, they were a separate box, "quarantined" so to speak. After that we took the ones that had their eyes open or who chirped and could stand on their own back with the others. Eventually they all found the water and the crumbles (dip their beak in the water). We put some quick chik in the water and it seems to make them happy.I would just watch them closely and care for them individually at first, some TLC. I can't begin to tell you how hard it is to pick 13 dead chicks out of a cage while the others stare. There was one that did fall over and flipped over, but I kept sitting him up and he eventually figured out how to stand. I would give it time. I'm sorry you have also lost yours, its so hard to see them so weak and basically helpless. :( I wish that your little chicks will get better and hope for only the best for them. I have already filed a claim and called McMurray and they said they will refund the money, have you filed one?

I just got my chick order of 30 today from Murray Mcmurray and I'm having the same issues with a couple of my chicks not standing. I had three DOA in the box and I called and they said they guarauntee them for up to 48 hours and to call back on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning with a total number lost and they will fix it. Very nice lady on the phone!! I'm going to nurse mine with sugar water tonight and then get some gatoraid for them tomorrow. I'm sure the shipping was very stressful for them, and I sure hope all of our remaining chicks make it through the night!

One more died last night, only 11 chicks left. I think I'll just get a refund for those that passed and take it to a local hatchery so I can guarantee that they are healthy and alive. So far the remaining ones are doing great.

Well, two more casualties since this morning, but those were the chicks that we were nursing. I don't know that I'll ever get mail order chicks again.

Back
Top Bottom