Chick Yawning???

ChikenMania

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Carlisle MA
I have 4 buff orpingtons and they are all yawning, usually 3 or 4 times in a row. It only happens when I put them outside, where it was 90 degrees today. I don't know if this is connected, but the chicks sneeze, even indoors. Ahy help?

THanks, AC

Yawning is usually done to adjust the crop or the contents of it, it's normal. Sneezing can be from an irritant like dust, or a sign of an respiratory infection. If they aren't showing any other symptoms and are running, eating and drinking fine than I wouldn't worry too much, but I might try to find out if there's a reason for it.

Keep your brooder clean, you can't clean it enough and make sure they have good ventilation and the air isn't stale. Chicken put off a lot of dander, and produce ammonia smells which can cause troubles if they aren't ventilated well.

Yawning is usually done to adjust the crop or the contents of it, it's normal. Sneezing can be from an irritant like dust, or a sign of an respiratory infection. If they aren't showing any other symptoms and are running, eating and drinking fine than I wouldn't worry too much, but I might try to find out if there's a reason for it.

Keep your brooder clean, you can't clean it enough and make sure they have good ventilation and the air isn't stale. Chicken put off a lot of dander, and produce ammonia smells which can cause troubles if they aren't ventilated well.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom