chick

melissa088

Hatching
Jan 26, 2015
I have a baby chick and its been eating but it has a big ball of food growing in the front by her throat, I don't know what it is. Could it have started off by food getting stuck.

I have a baby chick and its been eating but it has a big ball of food growing in the front by her throat, I don't know what it is. Could it have started off by food getting stuck.

Is the ball at the base of her neck in front? If so, then she is fine. Chickens have a crop that fills with food and is ground up before going through their digestive systems. They do not have a stomach, so food has to stop there to get processed down.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Is the ball of food you're talking about internal, or external? It is normal for chickens to have a rather large lump inside their neck, called the crop. If the food is stuck outside of the chick's body, then it probably just got stuck there, and should be easy to remove.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

X2 on Bantamlover21; if the food is on the outside, you may be able to remove it by moistening it with some warm water and a paper towel.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes that lump you see is probably just her crop. It is a food storage area in the chest. When chickens eat a lot, they crops get big!

Back
Top Bottom