chicken (10 weeks) eating other chickens poop . why?

freefly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Guam
I have noticed one of my new chickens, that I got 3 weeks ago is eating other chicken poop and her own
She is a red star 10 weeks old
My flock are freerange
I noticed blood in her poop two days ago and I am giving he sumlet.
I don't ever remember seeing the other chickens eating poop.
Is thier some deficency or is this normal ........

They will eat poop. They will eat other animals poop too.

My ewes seem to think the guinea poop is candy. When we clean the guinea roosts they run up and push and shove and knock you down to get to the poop nuggets.
hmm.png

Quote:
My chickens eat pig poo, dogs eat pig poo, dogs eat chick poo.....only animal around here that doesn't recycle poo seems to be the cat. She kills mice but don't eat them.....dogs and chickens do.

When I took my dogs to the vet the other day I asked him why they do that...he said it is a B-12 defiency and don't worry about it unless they start eating their own poo.

I just don't let the dogs lick my face.
sickbyc.gif

I had heard it is some microbe lacking in the gut, at least when it was explained about baby horses eating older horses' poop. I have one geriatric mule who eats poop, too. I figured it was some sort of probiotic type thing. (?)

I find it worth mentioning that dogs eat cats' poop but cats don't eat dogs' poop.
wink.png

I feed him flock raiser crumbles, occasional worms and some table scraps like bread a couple of times a week. I also throw some scratch down for him although I realize he might not "need" that.
Am I doing something wrong?

I feed mine the same as you, but try giving him some plain yogurt if it's a gut issue maybe that will help clear it up.. I usually give my chickens yogurt once a week... Mine get meal worms everyday, not much going on here for them to forage for right now.

Back
Top Bottom