Chicken about to die?

Grace8269

Songster
May 30, 2020
My 5 year old hen, Quinn, has been moving slowly and her comb’s pale for the past few days. This morning, i noticed her tail was droopy. She was acting slow but perked up and started moving for some treats. Her droppings are very liquidy. And as of now, she is laying down and closing her eyes, breathing heavily. I do not know what is wrong with her but please help!!!!!!

My 5 year old hen, Quinn, has been moving slowly and her comb’s pale for the past few days. This morning, i noticed her tail was droopy. She was acting slow but perked up and started moving for some treats. Her droppings are very liquidy. And as of now, she is laying down and closing her eyes, breathing heavily. I do not know what is wrong with her but please help!!!!!!
UPDATE: she seems to be getting worse. Any ideas on a diagnosis? Or how I should treat this?

Treat her for an emergency with one cup water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. Dip her beak and do it immediately. This will stabilize her. If she perks up after drinking this solution give her cooked egg with cooked rice.

When was the last time she laid and egg? Any recent problems with shell quality? Is her discharge watery and does it have a very unpleasant acrid odor?

Treat her for an emergency with one cup water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. Dip her beak and do it immediately. This will stabilize her. If she perks up after drinking this solution give her cooked egg with cooked rice.

When was the last time she laid and egg? Any recent problems with shell quality? Is her discharge watery and does it have a very unpleasant acrid odor?
She stopped laying eggs when she was 2 after she had a reproductive egg. Her discharge is very watery but i have not noticed a bad smell. What condition do you think she could have? Also how does the water with sugar, salt, and baking soda help? Thank you so much for your response!!!

The sugar water elevates her glucose. The salt and baking soda stabilizes her electrolytes. This is close to the intravenous drip a human gets in the ER to bring them away from the brink of medical emergency.

She could have a stuck egg if she was fine just prior to this. If she has been steadily declining over a period of weeks, she may be in organ failure from any number of possible causes from internal laying to reproductive infection or cancer.

The sugar water elevates her glucose. The salt and baking soda stabilizes her electrolytes. This is close to the intravenous drip a human gets in the ER to bring them away from the brink of medical emergency.

She could have a stuck egg if she was fine just prior to this. If she has been steadily declining over a period of weeks, she may be in organ failure from any number of possible causes from internal laying to reproductive infectio or cancer.
Do you recommend checking for a stuck egg with my finger?

Back
Top Bottom